Vol-3: {Signs of cracks} Chapter 12.1

"It stings a little."

Étienne winced at the needle piercing his skin at the same time as the warning, and frowned.

I think it's about time I get used to it, but somehow it hurts every time I do it.

"Sorry. I will stab you one more time."

Saladin moved his hand once more with the words of apology. At that moment, the tips of his fingers tingled again.

"It's done."

Seeing drops of red blood welling up on his white fingers, Saladin pulled out a small, tall vial. With a deft motion, he placed the vial on his finger.

As soon as he took the glass bottle, a drop or two of red blood dripped from his fingertips.

"Mmm."

The blood is too thin. Saladine salivated as she checked the blood filling the clear glass bottle. There was a lot of wrinkles between his brows.

"What?"

Seeing Saladine's expression darken, Etienne asked nonchalantly.

"Oh, no."

Saladine, who was looking at the glass bottle with a serious face, answered in surprise. It was a lie to anyone.

"I think the colour is lighter than usual?"
said Etienne, raising his bloody hand. Even to hi.self, the colour of his blood was strange.

"Well, um, I guess we'll have to do a test to know for sure."

"You can just be honest."

Etienne let out a chuckle at Saladine's restless appearance. He knew better than anyone that his body was not good.

"I am not feeling well these days. Last time, a heat cycle suddenly came."

Étienne straightened him up and looked at Saladin. Although he belonged to the empress, he also had the conscience that a doctor should have.

"Like you said, I'm cutting down on alcohol little by little. Is this enough? Should I take some more medicine?"

"No. Now is the time to cut down on all medications."

At Etienne's question, Saladin shook his head. He hesitated for a long time, as if choosing his words. His loyalty to the empress and his conscience as a doctor seemed to collide.

"Haah."

Saladin let out a long sigh as if frustrated, and raised his head with a spleen face.

"I will be honest. Now, Your Highness's body.....It is like being poisoned."

Saladine said with a firm expression. He had been Etienne's personal physician for ten years. Etienne's health took a drastic turn this year. The body that has reached its limit is collapsing at a rapid rate.

To be honest, it was even easier for him to endure this far. If it wasn't for the financial resources of the Empress and the Duke of Herace, and if it wasn't for the careful care of the doctor and pharmacist, who were said to be the best in the empire, Etienne would have been ruined long ago.

"As I told the Empress, His Highness needs to take a medication break now."

"What if I don't take a break?"

"......Worst case, you'll lose your life. The aftereffects of drug addiction can damage the nervous system and lead to disability."

Ben's face, behind Etienne, turned white at Saladine's words. On the other hand, Etienne, the party involved, was calm. As if he was expecting to hear something like that.