a sticky situation

our bus parked at tokyo ice stadium. the stadium was huge, i could see it through the bus window. a big dome with clear glass, and a giant crowd of cars and spectators around the entrance.

today was d-day. if we won the game today we would be on our way to the semi-finals and hopefully the finals next year.

that would be nice.

getting off, we all walk together into the stadium. we are met with a larger crowd of people, but that wasn't what i was focused on. a thumping heart beating out of my chest set my breathing off and it was all i could think about.

my eyes sharp and hoped to lock onto someone familiar so i can talk all these nerves away. i spot them.

"kuroo! hey!" the inseparable duo from fukurodani wave at me, one way too energetic for his own good and the other waving like he barely got any sleep. you can guess who is who.

"guys! i haven't see y'all in a while~" i give both of them a hug, stepping backwards and putting my hands behind my back, "how's the team?"

"still nosy? you're the same." bokuto crossed his arms and shook his head. "we're good and prepared and we're excited." he smiled brightly.

i ruffle my hair, "that's good." then i tap my feet, thinking to myself. "oh!" i snap his finger, suddenly something coming back to me and i smile cockily, "do you think the two of us are up agains-"

"oh, we're not gonna be against you." bokuto states, not elaborating.

i nod my head, waiting for him to say more but he doesn't. instead, i catch myself pacing between bokuto's wary eyes and akaashi's worried one's.

"yeah, we're the first game tonight.." akaashi continues, "you're the... third?"

"yep!" i quickly answered, releasing a breathe i didn't know i was holding.

there was this slightly uncomfortable energy around the duo and i was starting to feel a bit awkward. "do you guys know who you're up against?" i ask, trying to stir up the conversation again.

"i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's karasuno?" bokuto looked to the right side of his brain, "i've never heard of them."

"ohh~ karasuno." nodding my head, quite happy nekoma wasn't going against them tonight. "say.. do you know who we're going up against?" i look at him hopefully.

before bokuto was gonna open his mouth, the announcement set off. "may the first round of players come up on the ice now!" speakers all over the arena projected.

looking back at the both of them, they give me a thumbs up and an awkwardly wide smile. "all the best!" bokuto smiles, before akaashi links arms with him and they walk away.

are they hiding something from me? i thought to myself. it can't just be me who feels awkward...

"thanks." i state before running through the crowded halls to find the team.

the crowd was blaring, way more than the actual announcement microphone. usually, i felt alright before these types of competitions, but at this moment i was feeling queasy.

like most anticipated game? what is that supposed to me?

nonetheless, i found my teammates on the bleachers and quickly laced up my skates. together we all got on the ice and started warming up, doing a few rounds.

"looks like the opposing team will be a few minutes late!" the announcement, only erupting complaints and other unpleasant sounds from the audience, sending an eerie shiver down my spine.