distant friends

it had been a few days since you talked you kuroo.

you didn't find it weird, initially, but the day since you guys met you talked everyday. whether that was one of you knocking on each others doors or disturbing each other between classes.

it seemed like a problem you could shrug off your shoulders. it wasn't even a problem, really.

"times up!"

"aww, shit" you cursed to yourself. looking down, you saw a pretty much blank last page on your test. you had spaced out the last 10 minutes and the pen in your hand deemed useless.

the person in front of you turned around, expecting your paper. you placed it in his hand, rolling your eyes as you bit your cheek.

the class gets dismissed so you pack your bag and walk out the back door. out of luck, you bunp into someone.

"kenma!"

the blonde didn't even notice it was you until he looked up. he looked the same, nonchalant. "oh hey, y/n."

"what's up" you placed a hand on his shoulder as you both started walking.

"how's was the test?" kenma asked.

you gave him a pitiful look, "failing."

"same." he agreed, not saying much.

"ugh." you groaned. you didn't like it when you got bad grades, especially if it was against kuroo even though you guys were a year apart.

a flight of stairs and you guys were on the level 1 hallway. suddenly, someone caught your eye.

"kuroo!" you called out in the halls.

swore you saw it, his familiar jerk of his shoulders when he distinguished your voice in a crowded room. but he didn't turn around.

"kuroo!" you repeated.

a few annoyed heads turned to you in the halls but you blatantly ignored them.

"tetsurou!"

admittedly, you recoiled at the thought of even calling him that.

no reaction. no more shoulder jerk, he just walked as if you weren't shouting his name.

you never even called him that. both of you were best friends, but didn't address each other like that. well, he called you y/n, but it was like kenma, preferred being called by your first names.

... why am i even overthinking this?

feet running over to him as you tapped his on the shoulder. his bag slinging from his right shoulder. he turns around, but not willingly.

he looks down at you, but his face isn't delighted. his hair is messier than usual and his tie was loose.

"what?" he asks, annoyed.

"you couldn't hear me" you jokingly taunted him "are you deaf?"

he didn't take that joke very well. "okay?" he asks, as if you have anything else to say. you didn't.

never in your life did you feel unwelcomed by kuroo.

but you did. right now at this very moment.

you continued talking to him to try and prove your thoughts wrong. they were kinda right.

"why haven't you talked to me these past few days? you found a new best friend or something..." you asked, immediately ending it with a nervous laugh. your words come out needier than you intended.

his reaction doesn't help.

hazel eyes contorting into confusion, like he doesn't understand you. he feels... i don't know.

distant?

"dunno." he shrugs his shoulder and readjusts his backpack, turning his back like he's about to leave.

"wait"

that word comes out of your mouth before you can even process it. he turns back around, expecting a catch from you.

kuroo stands there, one hand in his pocket and the other holding his bag strap. "yes?" he clenching his teeth, asking you impatiently.

"are you-" you tried to think of your words before you said anything, you didn't want to say the wrong thing. "like-"

"like what?" he interrupted you. eyes checking, the look on his face didn't seem like he cared.

"is something bothering you?" you blurted out.

there was a pause on his end. "i don't know. is there?" his tone sounded mockingly. maybe it was all in your head...

"...yeah" you nodded your head, holding both your hands in front of you, like you were gonna fall apart if you let go at any point. "like- you know, you can talk to me if something is botheri-"

he pulls you to the side, making your back slam onto somebody's lockers. his arm over your head as he leaned down and talked straight to your face.

"would you be angry if you were having a private conversation with someone and you had at least 10 other people eavesdropping on your conversation?" he asked, eyes looking straight at you.

"what?" you shook your head.

"and the person that didn't know on the other line says something super personal that they wouldn't want other people knowing?"

you would be lying if you said this didn't shake you up. you tried to move away from hi but he redirected his hand.

"answer me." his tone condescending. you look straight at his black look. "wouldn't you find that embarrassing?"

"well yeah bu-"

he cut you off, "what about when you post something online. as- as just like posting for shit's, then you have someone screenshot it and poke shit at you to her other friends."

suddenly you knew what this was about. what he was about and why he was angry.

he tilts his head to the side, "i don't know, wouldn't you feel like- not good?"

not sure how much longer you can hold this eye contact with him, you look at your feet on the ground.

"yeah..."

"yeah?"

"mmm" you pry your eyes off your shoes and look straight at him.

there's no other way to say it but his blank stare is scary.

he scoffs, "i don't know what your problem is lately, but it's not very cool." after that, he leans  away from the locker and leaves you there, walking away coldly.

you stand up awkwardly, looking around to see if anyone was looking at the two of you. kenma walks up to you, "what was that about?" he asks.

"i-" you see kuroo heading for the exit and he disappears after passing a pillar "i don't know." you shrug.

the two of you look at each other, no words exchanged.

you break the silence, "do you wanna get food?"

"sure." he says without hesitation.

the two of your walk slowly beside each other. you undo your ponytail, still a bit shaken up over your 'conversation'. your blonde friend glances at you

kenma doesn't know what's happening , and if there was something on. but he would know, he will know very soon.

AUTHOR NOTE

more angst! sorry guys. actually i'm not sorry at all but i'll pretend like i am.

why was this chapter so fun to write i love making my characters angry at each other