a regular practice

"go go go!"

sound of hand claps and the skids of ice skates were present in the nekoma high sports hall. training was going as per usual, but the stakes for high.

"boys keep going!" coach shouted from the sidelines, hand on his clipboard.

kai gets past yamamoto, then gets past lev in a flash. no one can catch up to him as he speeds past every defender.

that's when kuroo comes from behind and snags the puck from kai.

an open space. he could see the light of an unblocked view.

he swings at an attempt to send the puck to yamamoto. before yamamoto can get it, kai cuts in front of him and retrieves the puck for himself, speeding away.

"fuck" kuroo mutters under his breath.

kai speeds skates to the goal, twisting and turning over everyone in sight.

he's about to score.

in a flash, kuroo gets over to his teams goal and tried his best to defend.

yaku gets down on his knees. the puck from kai's stick makes an attempt to land in the net.

shoot once, miss. yaku deflects it back.

the puck is in kai's hands again.

shoot twice, score.

kai does a perfect shot into the goal and mouths a 'yes!' before inuoka comes over to him.

inuoka puts a hand on kais shoulder, "good job kai!"

he gives a little fist bump to his junior and skates around the goal, then back to his team. the tan skinned boy looked over at the clock.

3 minutes left.

before he knows it, kuroo takes the puck for himself and start gliding across the ice recklessly. he skates past inuoka, then kai, but lev stays on his case.

'wow, even a first year can keep up with me. i need to get in more shape.' kuroo thought to himself.

kuroo makes it all the way over to the other teams goal, but of course not without lev on his tail. suddenly, lev's stick gets caught with kuroo's and it's almost a whole face-off again.

coach watches them intently, but screams at the captain, "score!"

kuroo clenches his teeth as his stick gets caught with the opponent's. his jersey twists around the blunt end as he desperately attempts to untangle the puck from the piercing sound of fibreglass clashing into one another mixed with the sharp pain in his limbs were too much. his arm gave out.

the shoots into the goal, scoring one last point.

the whistle blows. other team cheers for themselves, but the others in the room don't feel so happy.

the coach walks up to kuroo, almost infuriated, if you would even call it that?

"why can't you score anymore?" he brings his arm up and motions at the goal.

everyone on the team looks at kuroo, who was fidgeting with his fingers on the hockey stick. he bit his gum, able to taste the blood in his mouth as he was humiliated in front of them whole team.

coach nekomata keeps going, he was so frustrated with kuroo's performance lately. "you're the team captain, you should be the one bringing us up."

don't say it. please don't fucking say it.

"so why are you bringing us all down?"

kuroo turns around, a million thoughts run through his mind. but he can only think of one when he looks at his coach.

they share eye contact, hostile at best.

we both know why.

"i'm done."

kuroo threw his stick to the the side, giving everyone one last look before leaving, his eyes sticking on kai the last.

only one could imagine how unbelievably lost people get when their captain decides to leave. the rest of the team stood there, unsure of what to do. they watch kuroo pack up and go.

the door slams shut as it echoes through the hall.