she's not my girlfriend

[kuroo pov]

the first thing i need to do today is get to my physics class. just my luck, i left my freaking textbook inside my locker. walking in the hallways at 9 am was always a treat. and by a treat, i mean a treat for the people who like to torture themselves. which by what i know, is next to nobody.

"excuse me." i rummage myself between lockers and also people. attending a public school in the busiest city in japan was sometimes a pain in my ass.

the walkway clears up, thank god, and i can finally walk without looking like a penguin who can only walk sidewards.

one of my classmates, ren, walk in the same direction as me in the busy hallway.

"good morning." i motion a bow. he has a locker right next to mine so right now we're beside each other.

he simply looks at me, bowing as well. i assume i'll get a 'good morning' back but i don't. instead, the reply is less than ideal.

"are you dating l/n?" he asks first thing.

"what?" i shove all my books into my lockers.

"you know, that girl. l/n." he explains further.

"nope." i adjust the books inside.

"are you sure?" he asks again.

i slam my locker door shut and turn around to see ren standing right beside of me "what do you not believe?

his face doesn't falter. he goes and shows me a screenshot of that kodzuken story, the one of me and y/n cuddling. ugh.

"that was a one time thing." i say bluntly so he can scram. he doesn't.

"i don't know, i guess i see you guys together all the time, it's like you're practically a couple." he observed.

"funny." that's what i remark before getting what i need and walking away from him.

-

a girl behind me in class tapped me on shoulder. i turn around to see her sitting there.

"congratulations." she says with a friendly smile.

"eh?" i was taken aback.

what in the world was she talking about?

"you guys are adorable!" she added.

oh.

"ohh~" i try to play along. but i quickly but my hands up, "sorry, but it's actually not like tha-"

i get cut off. "kuroo, the board is at the front of the class." teacher mai scolds me.

"sorry."

before i turn back, i see the look in my classmates eyes again. they're still sparkling. my god. i turn back around and sigh, picking up my book and embedding my head inside.

-

kuroo walked over with his black sling bag to the sports hall. he sits on a bench inside and starts putting on his skates.

"hi captain!" yaku suddenly slides over.

"hi morisuke." he pulls on the strings and starts looping them into the hooks as he greets him.

kai walks over and waves his hand, "hello kuroo."

"hello hello." kuroo stood up on his skates.

kai and yaku gave each other a mischievous look, like one of those that you would give your friends. that is, if you were like 6 years old.

"why are you guys looking at each other like that?" kuroo asked.

they didn't reply, only continuing to eye one another.

"you ask first!" kai nudged yaku.

"no, you." yaku nudged him back.

kuroo rolled his eyes, already knowing immediately he tried to step out of this conversation.

he stopped when kai started talking "kuroo, how's you and your little girlfriend?" he jeered.

oh great.

"guys you should know by now, she's not my girlfriend!" kuroo was exasperated, bringing his hand out in a motion that looked like he was about to choke their necks.

"oh really?" they both said at the same time.

"why do you guys even care?" he ran a hand roughly through his hair, clearly tired of answering the same questions.

from the corner, the coach overheard the third-years conversations, curiously walking over to join in. "kuroo-san, you have a girlfriend?"

kuroo was taken aback, even coach wss asking these types of questions now?

"what, no!" he stated.

"is it that girl that always comes her to visit you during practice?" coach nekomata continues his inquiries.

his perseverance made kuroo speechless. this is just utterly ridiculous, he thought to himself.

"yeah it's that girl!" yaku confirmed for him.

"what! no it's not!" kuroo defended himself.

"yeah, coach they hang out like, all the time. i'm sure they have been dating for a while already~" kai suggests.

kuroo looked at coach then back at kai, unsure how to handle this. "guys, don't lie." he crossed his arms.

"you're the one that's lying!" kai pointed at kuroo.

kuroo then pointed at himself, "i'm not lying!"

"so you guys aren't together?" yaku asked.

suddenly, their three faces were peering at kuroo, awaiting his answer to the question. kuroo smiled.

"no," he calmly spoke, "we're just best friends."