32. No tunnel to Levania

I nearly choked on my juice as Baragorn revealed the shocking news. My eyes widened in disbelief, and my jaw hung loose, like a fish out of water, as I exclaimed, "What do you mean you don't have a tunnel to Levania?!" My voice rose in pitch, like a teapot whistling, as I struggled to comprehend this revelation. Baragorn shrugged nonchalantly, his beard bobbing up and down like a yo-yo, as he spoke. "Yeah, sorry about that. We used to have one, but it collapsed a few years ago. We haven't gotten around to fixing it yet."

His tone was casual, like he was discussing the weather, rather than the fact that we had just wasted so much of our lives traveling to this dwarven stronghold. My mind raced like a hamster on a wheel, trying to process this information. "Wait, so you're telling me that we came all the way to Khazad-Dum, braved the perilous paths, and fought off the monsters, just to find out that you don't have a tunnel to Levania?" My voice rose in incredulity like a balloon filling up with air.

Baragorn nodded sheepishly, like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. "Yep, that's about the size of it." His response was dry like a slice of toast left out too long. I slumped forward, my head in my hands, like a marionette whose strings had been cut. This was not what I had signed up for. I had come to Khazad-Dum seeking adventure and glory, not to be stuck in a dead-end tunnel.

My thoughts were a jumble, like a box of spaghetti, as I tried to figure out our next move. But then, a glimmer of hope appeared, like a ray of sunshine peeking through the clouds. "Wait, you said you used to have a tunnel to Levania. Does that mean there's still a chance we can get there?" My voice was filled with a mix of hope and doubt, like a seesaw teetering on its fulcrum.

Baragorn rubbed his chin thoughtfully like a philosopher pondering the meaning of life. "Well, there might be another way. There's a secret passage that leads to Levania, but it's guarded by a fearsome dragon. No one has been able to pass through it in years." His words were like a puzzle piece fitting into place, revealing a hidden truth.

My heart skipped a beat, like a rabbit hopping over a hurdle, as I contemplated the prospect of facing a dragon. But then, I remembered the words of Mr. Slytherin when we were back at Eldrida. "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." His words were like a warm hug on a cold day, comforting and reassuring. Even though he was a creepy old dude, he had some wise words.

I looked at Baragorn with renewed determination, like a superhero donning a cape. "Alright, let's do it. Let's go through the secret passage and face that dragon." My voice was firm, like a general rallying their troops before battle. Baragorn's eyes lit up with surprise, like a firework exploding in the night sky. "You're crazy, you know that? But I like your enthusiasm, boy!" His voice was filled with admiration like a proud parent watching their child take their first steps.

"Where is this place?" I asked, my voice filled with curiosity and a hint of trepidation.

Baragorn hesitated for a moment before responding, his voice laced with a sense of warning. "I will take you there, but I must caution you, the path ahead is fraught with danger. The dragon that guards the entrance to Levania is fierce and powerful, and many brave warriors have attempted to defeat it, only to meet their demise."

As he spoke, Baragorn's eyes seemed to bore into mine, as if searching for any sign of fear or weakness. But I met his gaze steadily, my determination unwavering. I had been given a second chance at life in this strange new world, and I was not about to let fear hold me back.

"I understand the risks," I replied, my voice firm and resolute. "But I am not afraid. I have faced challenges before, and I will not back down from this one. I am ready to face whatever dangers lie ahead."