20. The Entrance Exam

I slowly opened my eyes, squinting against the bright sunlight that streamed through the window and illuminated my face. I was feeling incredibly sleepy, my eyelids heavy and my body relaxed. I tried to roll over and go back to sleep

"Huh? Did I oversleep?" just as I was about to shut my eyes someone slammed open the door

"Master Ember!" a familiar voice screamed, piercing through the silence of the morning. I groggily opened my eyes to see Edvin standing in the doorway, his chest heaving as he struggled to catch his breath.

"Sorry, Master Ember," Edvin replied between gasps. "I forgot to wake you up. Today is your school entrance exam!"

"But I want to sleep" I groaned, my voice muffled by the pillow. I had been looking forward to this day for weeks But now, with the exam mere hours away, I was stuck in this stupid bed, unable to move.

"Yeah, but There's probably Plenty of time-" I said before Edvin interrupted me

"No, you are gonna be late you have to eat your breakfast right now and go!" Edvin's voice pulled me back to reality. "Come on, Master Ember. You can't sleep now. You have to get up and prepare for the exam."

I sighed heavily, throwing off the covers and swinging my legs over the side of the bed. My body ached from lack of sleep, and my head felt foggy and disoriented. I rubbed my eyes, trying to clear the haze from my vision

After our conversation, I decided to try and sleep again. I climbed back into bed and closed my eyes then I brushed my teeth After my teeth were brushed, Edvin pushed me into my closet and started rummaging through my clothes.

"What are you doing?" I asked again, feeling a little more alert now.

"I'm finding you something to wear," Edvin replied, holding up a fresh white shirt and a pair of black pants. "You can't wear your pajamas to the exam, Master Ember."

I nodded, feeling a twinge of shame at my sloppiness. Edvin was right – I needed to look presentable for the exam.

With Edvin's help, I quickly changed into fresh clothes and washed my face to remove any remaining sleepiness. When I was ready, Edvin led me out of the closet

then I went to the dining table stuffed my mouth with food, and got out of our mansion in a hurry.

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, my heart pounding in my chest. I had overslept and was now running late for my first day of school. I had always been excited to start my studies at this prestigious magic school, but now that excitement was mixed with a healthy dose of anxiety. What if I failed the exam? What if I didn't make any friends?

Finally, I arrived at the school's grand entrance, panting and sweating. The gate was tall and imposing, but I knew I had to push through and face whatever challenges lay beyond. I took a deep breath and stepped inside, my eyes adjusting to the dim light within.

Inside, the school was bustling with activity. Students milled about, chatting and laughing with each other. Some of them glanced at me curiously, while others ignored me altogether. I felt a twinge of nervousness, wondering if I would fit in here.

I approached the counter, where a middle-aged man sat, eyeing me expectantly. "Yes, what can I do for you?" he asked gruffly.

"Hi, um, my name is Ember Celeste. I'm here for the entrance exam," I stammered, feeling like a complete idiot.

The man raised an eyebrow. "Oh, wait. You're the son of the Duke. Sorry for my rudeness."

I shook my head, feeling a bit embarrassed. "It's okay, I'm just a kid."