Girls Day Out

I let out a loud yawn as I woke up, a smile on my face as I sat up. I felt refreshed and happier than ever, especially since I woke up to see Gladius cuddling into my chest and Maple sawing metaphorical logs while he rested in his flower pot.

Deciding to let them rest a little longer, I carefully set Gladius down so I could go and get ready. The memory of Kat telling me yesterday she had something planned played out in my head, so I decided to pick out a more appropriate change of clothes. I quickly had a shower and changed into a pair of black pants that were more of a cross between joggers and jeans, a short sleeve white shirt, and a zip up hoodie Rainbow got me while we were shopping a few days ago.

Now that I was all dressed, I quickly brushed my teeth and finished up in the bathroom, stepping out with a smile on my face and head held high. As soon as I scanned around the room, I was happy to see Gladius and Maple just starting to stir awake. I carefully walked over to them, and almost out of instinct the plant climbed onto my shoulder and the sword started to hover.

"Aaaaaaa... Good morning, Caleb", Gladius said sleepily, rubbing his jewel with his bet wing. "You got ready earlier than usual."

"I did?" I asked in surprise. Maple nudged me, and I looked over at my bedside clock. It read at a surprising 7 AM, which was a first for me since I showed up here. "Huh, guess I did. Oops."

"I'm just surprised you're this ready for the day", the sword said a bit louder as he stretched, "With it not even being at least eight. But I suppose you're just still adjusting."

I shook my head. "Nah, it's just because I wake up when I wake up. My body is a mystery that does its own thing whenever it wants."

Gladius snorted. "That's one way to put it."

Maple nuzzled my cheek as the three of us all left my bedroom into the hallway. It was fairly quiet, with a few of the others walking about with small smiles on their faces. It seemed the incident a few days ago had finally passed, which made my heart swell happily. Deep down, I knew that would haunt everyone when they'd go back home, but right now was all that mattered. And right now, everyone looked happy.

I stood aside so Izzy and Merida could walk past, the two redheads chatting as they headed down the hall. They disappeared around the corner, probably looking for something to do. I smiled as I watched them go, and headed down the opposite way towards the balcony.

We passed Maria and Manolo, who were both still groggy and making their way to the smaller mess hall; Ralph was acting as an impromptu jungle gym for Iris, Vanellope and Hilda as Twig raced around at his feet and Alfur scribbled into his notebook in the wrecker's hair; Majima was being followed by Barranco, Dave and Flowey, all three of them with a bright smile on their faces as they headed into the Rec Room.

Me and my companions continued on our way until I opened the door and walked out into the open air. I could see a halfway finished gateway arch off to the side, looking like a simpler and smaller version of the one in the Convergence Universe. Just the sight of it made a pang of heartbreak hit me, but I buried it and headed over to a table so I could take a seat.

After sitting down, I looked up towards the sky and started daydreaming as the clouds danced overhead. It was cloudier than usual, probably signalling rain was coming soon.

"Gladius... I don't remember if it ever did while we were here a few months back... but does it ever rain here?" I gave the sword a curious look.

He nodded. "Oh yes. Despite what one might think, this place still goes through typical weather cycles. Based on the clouds...", He looked up to the sky, "I'd say rain tomorrow at the earliest."