Finally Home

I kept my eyes closed as I let the natural forces of the tunnel carry me along. It was almost cathartic, with the usually mismatched wave of voices around me now a humming, angelic choir. It was soothing and peaceful.

I kept my arms stretched out like wings as I felt the presence of the others around me. Gladius was the closest, as I felt him occasionally reach a wing out and gently touch my back, as if to make sure I didn't disappear before his eyes.

At some point, he moved off and came back so Maple could be planted on my back, the Wasabi Whip immediately snuggling up into me. I smiled a tiny bit more, and I opened my eyes to see Gladius looking up at me.

"How are you feeling, Caleb?" He asked me quietly.

I smiled more. "Light. I feel so light I can fly forever. So free and light that I want to just sing."

The sword chuckled. "That's fair. We're done. It's over. Just this last trip and we'll finally be home."

I nodded and reached behind, grabbing Maple so I could bring him into a very cosy hug. I rotated so I was flying on my back, which let me see the others. They looked excited and happy, happily chatting as we shot through the portal.

The Powerpuffs danced about while juggling a laughing Barranco, Dave and Flowey.

Ralph soared silently as Vanellope, Hilda, Twig, Alfur, Ruby and Iris all rested on his back.

Zomboss was piloting his pod as Majima, The Doctor, Amy and Rory all conversed behind him.

Star and Marco rode on Cloudy with Maria, Manolo, Merida and Izzy, with bright smiles. Maria even looked over at me and waved, which I returned.

Jenny and Steve were on their own, flying around the others with bright smiles.

That left Dry Bowser, who was transporting the Lakebottom and Peaceville duos on his back, Galacta and Scrap Baby. The later two were together, the knight having his wings stretched out as he carried the clawed animatronic by her hand and claw. I noticed the knight wasn't actually flapping his wings, which must mean he still wasn't 100% despite the now removed bandages.

I smiled over all my friends, each and everyone of them having impacted me like crazy. How we all helped each other out of tight spots, battled all-powerful beings and came out on top, and overcame the impossible.

It felt so surreal.

After months of jumping through metaphorical and literal hoops, sleeping in tents and various beds, looking into several different night skies splashed with various art styles.

I closed my eyes again to let the memories of this chaotic adventure play through my head. All the worlds I've seen, the stars I've counted, the moons and suns I saw rise and set. It was all once in a lifetime. Something anyone would kill to have.

And I got lucky because of a machine malfunctioning.

It was almost impossible, but it happened. And it happened to me, of all the seven billion people on planet earth, it happened to me.

Just the thought made me smile.

But suddenly I was bumped slightly, making me open my eyes so my musing ended. Looking to my right, I saw Cloudy had moved beside me.

The passengers on the living cloud were looking at me in intrigue, and I blushed a bit.

"Thinkin' hard there, dude", Izzy teased.

I nodded. "Just... thinking. Reminiscing."

Star guided Cloudy over just a bit so I could flop down on his soft, plush surface. I looked up into the only face I could see, which happened to be Maria.