Look On The Bright Side

I grumbled as I rolled over, feeling something poke and prod at me. I let out a whine as I hug Gladius closer, but as the poking continues, I slowly open my eyes and sluggishly roll over. Barely visible in the dark of my room though my tired eyes, was the vague form of Star. She looked... distressed?

"Mmmmmmm... what is it Star..." I mumbled, rolling over to face away from her. Gladius shifted so he was cuddling closer to me, and I helped by hugging him tighter.

"We have a bit of a situation", she said fearfully. I grumbled and looked over at her with a weak glare. I opened my mouth to say something-

"IT'S ARMAGEDDON OUT THERE!" Steve screamed as he rushed in, slamming my bedroom door behind him and blocking it closed.

I flailed around in shock and surprise, trying to get untangled from my blanket as Gladius Bolted into the air. "What did you do?!" He yelled in a demanding tone.

"Long story", Star said, joining Steve at keeping the door closed. I finally wrestled my blanket off of me and looked at my alarm clock. 4 AM. My left eye twitched. It was way too early for this shit.

With a slow turn of my head, I gave them a stare that made them both flinch.

"WHAT. DID. YOU. DO." I said in a slow, gravelly tone.

They both shared a look. "It was Star and Zomboss!" Steve admitted. His face morphed to an over exaggerated frown when the princess glared at her. "Sorry. He's scary when he's mad."

Star sighed and faced me again. "Basically, Zomboss, me and Marco were all doing another 'Let's mix magic and science' experiment, but we're all tired. So we weren't paying attention when the machine we were using started spitting out  a bunch of little gremlin creatures."

"And let me guess", Gladius said in a disappointed tone, "They've overrun the manor, and everyone else is fighting back against them?"

Both my friends nodded, lurching forward a bit when there was a bang at the door, followed by the sounds clawing and a plethora of odd sounds. Steve and Star both gave me wide-eyed stares with frowns, and I just stared back. I pinched the bridge of my nose and let out a frustrated sigh.

"It's too early for this..." I said in a strained whisper. While I did have my eyes closed, I could tell Star and Steve flinched at my tone. "I just wanted to sleep. I am tired. I don't have any patience for this..." I looked back at my three friends, and they all jumped at the dark fire brewing in me.

I forced myself out of bed and slowly walked towards the door, forcefully grabbing Gladius' handle and pulling him out of his scabbard. I gripped him tightly, the sword putting up no resistance. I then glared at my two friends who were still blocking the door.

"Move." I said stiffly.

"Caleb, look, it's not a good idea to just-" Steve started.

"I WASN'T ASKING! MOVE!!!" I screamed. This made both my friends scramble out of the way, and once they were gone, the door was knocked off its hinges. I stepped aside as it fell to my right, and stared dead on at the horde of mini monsters.

They all looked like bootleg gremlins, only with mechanical bits that definitely were Zomboss' technology and the bright colours of Star's magic. One of them immediately jumped for me...

And I stabbed Gladius straight through the thing's head and slammed it down. Everything became silent as the creatures all stared at their dead ally. I glanced over my shoulder, and met with Star and Steve's silent stares. I looked back down at the dead creature...

And twisted Gladius. There was the brutal sound of bones cracking and metal bending as I gave a dead look to the rest of the horde. They all seemed to back up, but after one of them let out a snarl, I snapped.