Here Comes A Thought

Honestly, using the TARDIS to travel from one universe to the next didn't feel real. And it was all because of how much more relaxing it was. There wasn't the echoing, head ringing chorus of voices, the almost dizzying colours, and the potential for all of us to just be sent spiralling at the slightest twitch.

But instead, I was chilling on a bean bag chair in the time machine's library, reading a book as Gladius lazed next to me. At a nearby table, Ralph, Rory, Manolo and Steve were having a deep, as Rory called it, "Guy Talk". I smiled as I passed the four men a glance, then returned to my book. It was nice, having what was akin to an RV on the road.

Elsewhere in the room, Merida and Izzy were looking over a shelf of books on all sorts of cuisines from around the world. I cocked an eyebrow at them in curiosity, but didn't do much else as Merry picked out a book and left the room with the Psycho Hose Beast right behind her. I quietly hummed, returning to my book.

A little while after, The four men left to do whatever they were talking about, leaving me and Gladius all on our own. I sighed with content as I melted into the bean bag even more, making my sword companion shift just a bit. He hummed, readjusting so he was on my chest.

"How are you doing, Caleb?" He asked.

I shrugged, careful as to not disturb him. "I'm fine. But the constant danger is really starting to get to me. Flowey, the feral Rabbids, El Macho, Mor'du, Daleks, dinosaurs, a super-weapon cyborg, and Dry bowser all just back to back. It's getting a bit much."

"I agree, my boy. I wish we could end up somewhere nice, so we can get our much needed break."

"If there is one more kaiju or supervillain bent on killing us, I swear..."

"I'll be staying optimistic", Gladius affirmed. "I have a good feeling about this next world."

I gave him a questioning look. "How can you be so sure?"

The sword shrugged. "Just a gut feeling. Although I did feel this very, very subtle warmth when we opened the portal. Reminded me of a beach."

I hummed thoughtfully. "Maybe opening more portals will help you start to actually know ahead of time where it goes?"

"I'd like that. It would help us a lot for the future."

I smiled, and for the next while I had just silently returned to my book. It was calming, and such a nice moment.

At least, until I heard a screaming Zomboss running by the closed door. Cocking my eyebrow, I walked over and opened the door, and was greeted with the sight of a frantic Zomboss rolling on the ground, trying to extinguish his on-fire lab coat. Hilda, Twig and Alfur were frantically trying to help, but to little avail. Looking to the right, I saw Majima and Izzy snickering around the corner, and exacerbated Merida hiding her face.

Business as usual, then.

I shrugged and walked out the library, heading down the hall towards the kitchen. I dodged around Amy and Jenny as they chatted, and stepped over Flowey and Maple until I finally made it to my destination.

Vanellope, Ruby and Iris were the ones already there, the three of them sitting at the counter and sipping on glasses of juice.

"Hey girls!" I greeted, shuffling into the main part of the room.

"'Sup, Glasses!" Vanellope cheekily greeted back. I rolled my eyes with a smile as Gladius hovered over the trio.

"So, what are your thoughts on this trip?" Gladius asked the two Gloomsville residents.

Ruby shrugged. "It's been fine. A lot more dangerous than when Misery is having an especially bout of bad luck, but otherwise it's been fun. Meeting all of you was a big highlight."