World's Weirdest Town

It was relatively quiet within the TARDIS. I wasn't complaining, because after our last moments at Beach City I needed all the quiet I could get. When I first entered after opening the portal, everyone would pass me the briefest of sombre looks, their eyes filled with sadness. I was close to having a mental breakdown at the silent treatment until Maria and Manolo dashed in from out of nowhere and dragged me off to the library. Maria plopped herself down onto one of the bean bags and guided me into her lap.

Manolo came over with a second bean bag and two books, generously passing one of the novellas to his wife before sitting down next to us.

"What's going on?" I asked, still stunned by how sudden all of this was.

"Well, I feel like you need someone to make sure you're okay", Maria explained as she pressed her lips into my hair. "And I said I want to help keep you smiling, so now I'm gonna be your mom."

I blushed."M-Maria, that's not n-necessary..."

"Shush", Manolo said in a firm tone. "You've been through so much and have done so much for us, mijo. Let us do this for you."

I blushed harder and buried my face into Maria's shoulder, letting out a weak groan. "You guys shouldn't tempt me... Because I'll be very clingy if you guys don't stop now..."

Maria looked down at me sadly. "We're expecting and hoping for that, Caleb. We love you, and if you don't suddenly see us as parents after you admit you do, then we'll get really worried."

I said nothing, so Manolo placed a hand on my shoulder and spoke. "We'll always be here for you, Caleb. Besides, you've seen our story. And what did you learn from it?" He sounded almost cheeky at the end there.

Again, I said nothing, but instead I snuggled up closer into Maria and let my body relax. I caught a glimpse of Gladius out of the corner of my eye, and with a nod he left the room.

At that, I cracked. "...I really needed this..." I whispered.

The wooden woman let out a soft giggle. "We know, mijo." She began to pet my hair with one hand, holding her book in the other.

I closed my eyes, let out a deep breath out of my nose. Despite being made of wood, Maria smelled like marigolds (probably the same kind that La Muerte had), which made my heart tingle just a bit. It made me feel like I was 10 years younger.

It, honestly... Made me feel safe. More loved than I ever was in years.

With a peaceful sigh, I let my body go limp against my mom friend, earning me another quiet giggle.

"You know, I could get used to this..." I hummed out.

"Well, we're happy to hear that", Manolo said, ruffling my hair playfully.

"Honestly, since I never got a chance to be with Rainbow, this fills that void perfectly."

Maria hummed in content, but as her hand petting my hair slowed, I knew what was coming. "Back when you snapped... when Skullboy's robot was going to destroy everyone else's science fair projects... you said your dad hurt you..."

I gulped loudly and let out a shaky breath. "W-W-Well, see..." From my obvious distress, Maria was quick to put her book down and wrap both arms around me. "He-He... He and her would... they would..."

"Take your time, mijo." The musician leaned forward and gave me an oh so patient and reassuring look. "If you can't talk about it, then just don't."

"...I can't remember..." My eyes widened in horror. "I can't remember. Oh my god, I can't remember. Why can't I remember?! I don't understand?! Why can't I-"