City Night Lights

I was kicked awake when I felt someone pick me up and start shaking me violently. I snapped my eyes open and was greeted with the fierce scowl of Majima. The others all jumped awake and began to look around in confusion before looking at the eyepatched man. Steve, being the closest, rushed over and pulled me out of Majima's grasp.

"What the heck, Majima?!" I shouted in rage. Jenny and Ralph shot him with vicious scowls, while Vanellope just shook her head in an attempt to wake up. The man said something in Japanese, which made Jenny's frown fall.

"Wait, something happened when we were asleep?" She asked with concern. That made the mood turn, and we all looked at Majima with worry. He gestured for Jenny to follow him, and the two of them left the trailer, leaving the rest of us in silence.

"What do you think happened?" Gladius asked, hovering up to my side. I shrugged.

"Hopefully nothing too serious", Ralph said as he rubbed a hand over his face. Vanellope hopped off him and onto the couch.

"Well, after last night", Steve added, "I wouldn't be surprised if it was more of those guy's friends."

"Whatever", Vanellope said hoarsely, her hair an absolute mess, "I just want to get something to eat." I looked at Vanellope with a slightly sad frown, then walked over and picked her up. She quickly sat on my shoulder and leaned against my head,letting out a loud yawn. I looked at Ralph.

"I'll take Vanellope out to get some food, they must have something around the site." The wrecker nodded at me, and I left the trailer with Gladius sheathing himself. I looked off to the right, and I saw Majima and Jenny standing in front of another trailer, talking with some other workers. I waved over at her with a tired smile, and she looked over and smiled back. I continued on my way through the site, careful not to bump into anyone. But there was nothing in the construction site, and I dreaded having to leave. One, because of the dangers, and two, because I didn't have any Yen.

"So..." Vanellope spoke up, snapping me out of my thoughts. "What's the plan for breakfast?"

I darted my eyes around carefully. "I'm not sure..." I said, "We're broke, with that other family attacking the city we can leave, and I honestly don't even know what there is..."

"Well, there has to be something", the tiny candy racer stretched her arms out with an unimpressed glare. "If this whole trip with you will eventually devolve into scrounging for scraps, I'll regret coming."

I shot her a sour look. "Alright, then how about you think of something, Crumb-Muncher." Vanellope stuck her tongue out at me in response, but after a few moments of just the two of us staring at each other with glares, we both broke into laughter. I fell onto my knees and clutched my stomach while Vanellope rolled around on the ground. After we got all of that out of our system, I stood back up and helped Vanellope up to her feet.

"Well, as fun as it is taking jabs at each other", Vanellope said with an eye roll and smirk, "We still need to find something to munch on."

"Well, you two could have just waited", said a new voice. We both turned to it in surprise and saw Steve walk up to us at a brisk pace. "Majima kinda guessed that we would have trouble getting food around here, so he said we can use some yen." He quickly tossed us both some coin pouches. I caught mine and quickly opened it, and saw a decent amount of yen in it. I quickly shut it and put it away in my pocket, Vanellope mirroring my movements.

"This should be enough", I told the builder with a smile, "Tell Majima we said thank you."

"He said not to worry about it", Steve said, "He did say not to blow it all on the claw machines at Club SEGA. They can be very cheap." I looked down at Vanellope, and saw her eyes sparkle with joy. I cringed and sent Steve a worried look, something he shared.