Chapter 94 - Tom Says

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Five of wizarding Britain's best healers were summoned immediately.

Tom apparated straight to the Ministry with his wife in his arms.

Merope was called to Malfoy Manor to collect the children, which she hurriedly did before she brought them straight to their mother's side.

As the medical team of magical healthcare workers flurried around Harriet in the designated room, just beyond the Minister's office, Merope stood steadfastly beside her son.

She stroked Harriet's dark hair lovingly, as if she were her daughter, not her daughter-in-law.

Merope's heart broke as she looked at Tom's wide eyes while he gazed down in horror at his wife.

The medical staff all but ignored the Minister and his mother as they worked to discover what exactly had happened to Lady Riddle and how it could be remedied.

Anyone could see the blatant bleakness of the situation.

Harriet's breaths came in shallow, papery gasps, with her mouth open, eyes staring at the ceiling, glazed over.

Her chest heaved with every intake of air, as if the action itself was a tremendous feat.

What was most concerning, however, was the creeping black reach of dark vein-like structures that resembled crawling worms moving from Harriet's mouth down her chest, towards her heart.

More whispers, more orders, and more minutes passed without an answer before Tom could stand the wait no longer.

"What's happened to my wife?!" He hissed as one of the healers moved him out of the way to expose Harriet's forearm.

"We're not quite certain yet, sir." The healer nodded as she spoke with a sense of professional urgency, "Most likely Dark Magic, most likely ingested, judging by the markings on her face and the gradual cessation of breath."

"My wife will be alright." He commanded more than asked.

The healer flashed Tom a doubtful frown before she scurried away, knowing well enough that those in her vocation never gave false hope.

As another healer placed the tip of her wand against Harriet's forearm and began to run a diagnostic spell on her blood, Tom suddenly felt the room start to spin as his world threatened to spiral out of control.

"Yes, Minister." The healer examining Harriet nodded as she glanced up, "It is Dark Magic, the source seems to have come from a potion.......if I'm getting an accurate reading here."

"Can you think of anywhere she could have been exposed?" Another healer frowned at Tom.

"No!" He shouted.

The Malfoys?

No, why?

It made no sense for the prestigious family to seek a betrothal for their heir then poison the mother of his promised bride.

"Can you think of any enemies your wife has, sir? Any that you know of, who would take such dreadful action against her?" The healer pressed.

Tom cast the healer such a deadly glare that an ominous chill ran down her spine.

"Forgive me, sir," The healer said quickly, ".....Do you know of any of your enemies that might dare try something like this?"

"No." Tom snapped without hesitation.