Chapter 56 - Tom's Ambition

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Alone in the hallway, Harriet reached out to yank the Minister's office door open.

She gasped as it refused to give way, but instead of crying out for Tom, she slipped her wand into her hand, pointed it at the door and shouted, "Alohomora!"

The lock clicked.

A mere second after Harriet heard the sound, she pushed the door open and rushed inside the room.

"Sweetling!" Tom cried as he glanced up from his seat on the sofa in front of his office's large hearth.

Although the evening was warm, the stoked fire crackled as Tom's dark eyes scanned Harriet's face while he stood, "What happened? Why didn't you come with-"

"-I stayed behind to talk to them, Tom." Harriet frowned.

Tom furrowed his brow as he placed himself in front of his mate and let his hands rest on the sides of her shoulders.

"There's no point in you being angry. They aren't going to help her!........They can't!" Harriet wailed, "If the International Board of Magical Medicine has no aid to offer, I don't know what to do for her!"

"What are you talking about?" Tom asked as he stared into Harriet's eyes with an incredulous scowl, ".......What did they say?"

Harriet couldn't hide her distraught melancholy as she related to Tom her conversation with the board members.

Once she had informed him of every spoken word, he caught her in his arms as she covered her face to hide her expression of anguish.

Tom possessed no great understanding of mercy, yet he often showed it to his mate.

In an effort to soothe Harriet's broken heart, he brought her to the sofa and sat her down on his lap.

As Tom enveloped her in his protective embrace, he kissed her face and neck lovingly while he whispered sweet musings about the many happy memories they would make together as a family.

He told Harriet of all the good things Mae would do, and James as well, once they grew up.

With unwavering confidence in his smooth, seductive voice, Tom convinced his wife that the entire world was merely composed of fools.

The board members.

Britain's best healers.

What did any of them know, really?

Harriet held onto Tom and returned the kiss he eventually placed on her lips.

Despite the fact that she recognized the falseness of his many statements, she was not quite yet ready to accept the truth's grim reality.

"You and I have always fought against this world together, have we not?" Tom purred in her ear while she lay on him an hour later.

Their cuddling had failed to progress, regardless, they had both enjoyed the cozy closeness sitting privately by the fire had brought.

"This is different, Tom." Harriet sighed.

"Not by much." He whispered as he kissed Harriet's forehead, "You do trust me, Harriet, you've always......trusted me. I've cared for you, looked after you, and protected you....Haven't I?"

Tom glanced down at her until she frowned up at him, "Yes......of course you have."

"........And I will do the same for our children, sweetling." Tom vowed as he raised Harriet's hand to his lips and gave it a tender kiss while he stared into her emerald eyes.