Chapter 40 - Tom's Chance

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

While Tom desperately wanted to stay at Riddle Manor and lounge about with his mate for the foreseeable months ahead, his desire to succeed was driven to a crescendo by his own ego and the emergent need to prove himself worthy of his new family.

Tom left Harriet in the care of his parents and servants as he answered an urgent summons from Lucius Malfoy when baby Mae was only two weeks old.

He walked with a heightened sense of confidence that morning as he marched through the Ministry's lacquered halls.

Tom's black robes billowed elegantly at his sides as a firm frown of utmost seriousness cemented itself on his face while he made his way between the throngs of people with his shoulders back and his chin held high.

Eventually, he arrived at Lucius's office, raised his hand, and knocked sharply on the door, just as his employer preferred.

"Come in......" Lucius's smooth voice called out.

Tom turned the doorknob and stepped inside the room as he greeted Lucius with a charming smile, "Good morning, sir. You asked to see me?"

"I have indeed, my boy, come in and have a seat." Lucius nodded as he gestured to the empty, black leather chair across from his large, ebony desk.

The dark floorboards creaked under Tom's polished shoes as he walked over and obliged his employer.

"I understand you've recently become a father, congratulations." Lucius nodded at Tom.

"Thank you, sir." Tom nodded with a proud smirk, "My wife and I are very proud."

"A boy?" Lucius asked.

"A girl." Tom corrected, "A perfect, strong girl."

"Ah, what a pity." Lucius frowned sympathetically, "You're young, Riddle, don't fret. You can try again for an heir."

"Oh, I have no doubt my mate will bear many sons and daughters for me before the end of our years, sir." Tom chuckled darkly, "Though Slytherin's inheritance has nothing to do with gender. There is no reason my daughter cannot receive all I have to give her one day."

Lucius frowned at Tom in disbelief for a moment before he nodded and went on, "Be that as it may, I have called you here for another reason this morning."

"I'm listening, sir." Tom replied as he flashed Lucius a pleasant smile.

"Richard Yardley announced his retirement yesterday afternoon." Lucius spoke.

Tom blinked before he asked, "The Minister's assistant has-?"

"-Yes." Lucius interrupted, "He's resigned from his post effective three weeks from today. I understand the timing is less than ideal for you, Riddle, but as soon as the news broke, the Minister himself came to my office and asked if I thought you'd be interested in the position."

Tom's dark eyes widened.

Saliva pooled in his mouth as he marveled at the wonderful opportunity Lucius presented.

"In my heart...." Lucius began as he watched Tom closely, "I thought you very well may be....interested. However, I wanted to consult you first before I officially nominated you for the job."

"Oh yes, Mr. Malfoy....." Tom said after he swallowed the drool that threatened to run down his face as greed nearly consumed him, "I am exceedingly interested in the position! You don't have to trouble yourself on my behalf, I'll gladly go and speak with the Minister myself."