Chapter 60 - Acceptance

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

James and Mark's potion-induced mirth seemed to endlessly continue.

Harriet and Tom had barely managed to settle their giddy sons into a state of calm when Lawrence appeared with the newly-arrived letter.

"Has it come?" Harriet asked Tom urgently as he snatched the parcel out of the servant's hands.

"It has....." He whispered as he turned the envelope over. His dark eyes flashed at Harriet before he whispered excitedly, "It has! James!" He called to their eldest boy, "Come here!"

James stood from his seat on the floor next to Mark and walked over to his parents before his father placed the letter in his hand with a smile.

"Read it, son. It's finally here." Tom grinned.

James carefully opened the envelope and pulled out the letter it contained before he read aloud, "Mr. Thomas James Arthur Riddle III, we would like to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts....School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

James blinked up at his parents with a stupefied look of wonder on his face before the four family members erupted into glad cheers.

Harriet hugged James.

Tom rustled his hair.

Mark rushed to congratulate his brother.

With James' eleventh birthday approaching, Harriet and Tom had known their son would soon receive his invitation to the castle, yet that notion had failed to fill the happiness of the special moment.

—————————————————————-

For the rest of the day, James babbled on about Hogwarts.

Although it pained him to leave Lily and his family behind, he could hardly wait to begin his magical education.

Harriet and Tom gladly regaled their sons with one harrowing tale after another from their own days as students at the castle.

Mark listened to his parents' stories with a broken heart as he tried to absorb every last second he would have with his elder brother until they were forced to part.

The afternoon passed by quickly.

Mae didn't learn the upsetting news until that evening when she came to dinner.

"......Your mother and I will take you to Ollivander's for a wand. He'll find the exact one for you, have no worries about that, son." Tom nodded.

"Thanks, Dad." James smiled, "Do you think I could have a pet too?"

"What are you talking about, James?" Mae laughed, "Isn't Asherah good enough?"

".......She can't come with me to Hogwarts." James explained as he turned to his sister.

The colour drained from Mae's fair face, "...........What?"

"I.....I got my letter today." James nodded, "I'll be headed to school this autumn."

"We'll miss you, brother." Mark said with a bittersweet smile.

Harriet's instincts gnawed at her as she watched Mae gasp for breath.

Tom's work kept him at the Ministry for long hours.

The realization that she would soon lose James only to be left alone with her idiot brother and stupid mother nauseated Mae.