24 | The Butterfly Effect

Start from the beginning

Tiffany tilts her head and her mouth rounds. "Oh I get it now. You just forgot the halo," she says, "So what are we doing first?" She asks.

"I'm actually taking Marisol to the ferris wheel, but you guys go on without us," Maya says.

"I was going to meet up with the guys," Ethan says.

"Aurora and I are just waiting for one more person before going into the corn maze," I say.

Ethan looks at me questioningly, but I just ignore his gaze. After talking about where we were all going the group decided to go off into different parts of the carnival and do their own thing.

Maya and Marisol go off to the rides, Ethan's friends found us and he went off with them towards who knows where, and Tiffany found some girls from the cheer squad with matching costumes.

"So Ambrose coming any time soon?" Aurora asks.

I checked my phone for the tenth time. There was no text message or call from Ambrose letting me know that he was close. The last message was an hour ago when he said he would be on his way after he handled something at home. He didn't say what, but it didn't sound like it was serious.

"Nothing from him, maybe there's just traffic or something," I say, shrugging my shoulders.

She looks over to the long line that's headed to get into the corn maze as a rock song comes on, pumping up the crowd with adrenaline. The scare actors come out and give them a taste of what's to come. They get into the people's faces, tapping their shoulders, and let out a maniacal laugh.

An actor stands by the entrance with a mask that resembles an old jester's mask. It was tattered and dirty, making the colors look dull. The smile on the mask looked like it had blood smeared over it to give it a more creepy factor. The actor was dressed in all black with the hood of the sweater over his head. The mask was the only thing visible with color.

I noticed that Aurora wouldn't stop looking at him. "Hey, I think I know that person," she says.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"The person who has been terrorizing me," she says.

"And you're sure of that," I ask, "Do you even know what he looks like?"

The 'jester' gives Aurora one last glance before he disappears into the cornfield. Aurora takes a step forward, "I'm going to see who it is. Hopefully Ambrose arrives by the time I come back."

She leaves following the jester into the same spot that he disappeared to, leaving me alone. I take a seat at one of the picnic tables that's right by the maze, taking notice of all the people that are clearly having fun.

I kept checking my phone ever so often, hoping to get some sort of notification. The night was getting darker and the carnival ground was getting more packed with families and groups of friends.

I could hear the people on the rides screaming out loud from the rush and the chatter of people as they walked past me. People from both our school and Cherryville High took over the carnival and all I could think about was why Ambrose was taking forever. I had offered him to come with Aurora and I, but he said he would rather meet us. I wish I was more convincing and dragged him here so I wouldn't sit here like some loner.

Maya and Marisol finally make their way to the table and she looks at me weirdly. "Where are the others?"

"Ethan left with his friends and Tiffany left with hers. Aurora thinks she found someone that she knows, so she's in the maze," I point behind me, "she's been in there for half an hour."

"No Ambrose?" She asks.

I shake my head. It was already 8:30 p.m. and the corset on this dress was irritating me and my feet were hurting. I was hungry and I was getting tired of sitting here and waiting.