How'd It Go Enrique?

Start from the beginning

"I know we talked about it once already but, d'you reckon there could be something... you know... wrong?" Lily asked quietly.

James was silent for a long moment. Then, "I don't know. Maybe." 

"It's probably me."

"You?" James looked at her.

Lily didn't answer. She wasn't sure she dared to.

James asked, "Are you talking about the rubbish about being a jinx again?"

Lily closed her eyes. 

"Lily. You aren't a jinx." James's voice was firm. "Surely, after all the good things that've happened to us, you don't think that."

"What good things, James?"

"What good things?" he laughed. "Lily. We're married. We have this beautiful home, we have a cat named Roger. Every one of my dreams have come true. Every one."

"Yes but --"

"No buts. Everything I've ever wanted."

Lily curled into James and wrapped her arm around his chest, pulling herself closer into him, laying her head against him so she could hear his heart thumping inside of him and she whispered, "Except for Harry."

James kissed her head.

"Maybe we should see a mediwitch about it."

James shifted uncomfortably. "A mediwitch?"

"Yes, to check that everything is in proper working order," Lily explained.

James blinked up at the ceiling.

"Don't you think?"

"I think we work just fine," James said.

Lily said, "Then why aren't we getting pregnant?"

"I dunno."

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

James was quiet. "I dunno," he said after an extraordinarily long pause.

"I think we should. Be checked. Then we'll know."

"How the fuck do they check something like that?" Sirius demanded. He was standing stocking records into the wood bins that held the inventory of Spillers. James was sitting on a stool he'd pulled out from behind the counter, which spun a little bit, and he was twisting left-to-right-left-to-right-left-to-right as he watched Sirius work. "Stick their wand up your --"

"I doubt they stick their wands anywhere," James interrupted. He paused, stopping spinning. "I hope not anyway."

"I mean how else?"

"I think it's like... some sort of a scan or something, like how they do x-rays maybe. Or a potion." James shrugged.

Sirius raised an eyebrow.

James resumed spinning on the stool.

"Hey what are you getting Peter?" Sirius asked, "For his birthday?"

"Dunno," James said. "Lily will probably pick out something and put both our names on it. What're you getting him?"

"Can she put all three of our names?"

James laughed.

"Reckon he'd like a record?"

"Does Peter like music?"

"I dunno. Not really."

"I don't think he'd like a record."

Sirius shrugged and went on stocking the bins.