16 | The Lingering Thought

Start from the beginning

My blood runs cold and I immediately look around me to see if his older brother was around. There was no way that they found out where I lived or that they're using Evangeline to get to me. How did Varushka let them in?

"You better tell her or else I'm making my way up there now!" Ethan yells.

"She'll get back to you when she can. Now let her rest," Roman says.

I hear the door shut and Ethan curses to himself. He gets into his car and drives off manically. Then about a minute later, I see Roman come out of the house. I make sure that the bushes don't reveal me as I see him enter a black truck. I watch him drive off on the opposite side and I quickly rush back into my house.

Evangeline had a lot of explaining to do.

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Wednesday, October 9th

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

I see Maya at her locker putting her books away and I march up to her. I felt more comfortable approaching her rather than her blonde friend. I tap Maya's shoulder and she turns around with a look of surprise on her face.

"Oh, Ambrose, right?" She greets me cautiously. "Are you looking for Evangeline?"

I nod. I pull out my phone to quickly write down something, but she puts her hand on my arm. I look at her with a puzzled look.

"You sign, right? I've seen Evangeline do that with you," she says that with a shy smile on her face.

I nod and her smile widens. "I've been wanting to practice more ever since my grandpa died," she says, "he lost his hearing after he fought in a war and I learned sign language for him. He died five years ago so I haven't been using it since then."

I'm sorry to hear that.

"It's fine. What did you need with Evangeline? She hasn't been in school for days," she says.

Do you know why?

She shakes her head. "Ethan said that her maid told him Evangeline was sick. Last time I saw her was on Saturday, when I picked her up from Ethan's house."

Was she okay when you saw her?

She ponders for a second and shrugs her shoulders a bit. "She was acting a bit quiet when I picked her up. She was as pale as a ghost and her eyes were a bit red. I don't know if she had been crying or if she was just coming down with the flu that morning," she says, "I haven't heard from her since then. I guess that explains why Ethan said Evangeline's phone was off."

Can I have her number?

She nods and pulls out her phone. She scrolls down to Evangeline's contact and shows me her screen. I type in Evangeline's number into my phone and save it.

"Can you text me when she gets back to you?" Maya asks.

I nod and I hand her my phone. She types in her number and hands me back the device. "I can see why Evangeline likes you," Maya says.

I raised my eyebrow at her, not understanding what she meant.

"You actually do care deep inside. It's one of the attributes that Ethan doesn't really have," she says, "Ethan just leaves things as it is and gets mad when things don't go his way."

I saw him go over to Evangeline's house yesterday. He seemed pretty mad.

"Yeah, he tends to lose his cool a lot," she chuckles awkwardly, "Not sure how Evangeline can date someone like that."