39

It turns out that despite being four centimetres dilated, which was just about halfway, that didn't mean that the other six would happen quickly

By the evening of the twenty-seventh, the contractions were frequent, about a minute long, and annoying, but Grace had only made it to five centimetres even though her water had finally broke.

"Could you please charge my iPad?" Grace handed the tablet to her wife. Their masks had come off while they were the only people in the room, and Grace had already killed the entire battery on her device while the mask hung around one ear just in case.

"Do you want mine?" Taylor offered because she hadn't even pulled it out of her backpack yet. She was too busy panicking over text to her mother and Amber and holding Grace's hand during the contractions.

"I might try to sleep," Grace admitted, "This is... brutal."

"You're doing great and you deserve to rest," Taylor nodded. She plugged the iPad into the charge cord next to her chair and then helped Grace adjust the pillow behind her, "I'll close my eyes in a little while, too. Wake me if you need me, I love you."

"I love you."

When midnight struck and Grace had finally hit six centimetres, Taylor leaned over in her chair and wished Grace a happy dating anniversary. They had been together five years to the day, and there was a good chance that their little boy would make his arrival on that day after all.

Taylor thought it was perfect, Grace just wanted him out. She wanted her body back, she wanted the pain to go away, she wanted to see him. She wanted him out and she wanted him out now.

"Can I try to make you laugh?" Taylor asked after placing a few kisses to Grace's knuckles. She knew the brunette was awake around four in the morning, they'd been sleeping on and off whenever she got tired, but it seemed like she was satisfied with having her eyes closed but being awake for the time being.

"I've been in labour for over twenty-four hours so if you can make me laugh, I will personally order you a gold star."

"The tabloids haven't seen you and I out and about in so long that they're reporting that you asked for a divorce earlier this week," Taylor delivered the news dramatically, "Did you hear that we're getting a divorce?"

"They heard you call him Thatcher as a joke," Grace smiled just a touch.

"They heard I wore Prada shoes the other day," Taylor faked a gag on Grace's behalf and braced herself as she knew the next contraction would only be seconds away. She felt Grace's grip tighten and looked at the fetal monitor to make sure everything seemed like it had every other time as the contraction passed.

She thought Grace would be loud like in the movies and scream, but at most when it was particularly painful, she saw tears well in her eyes. When the doctor came in to check again, Grace was finally at nine centimetres and was told it wouldn't be too long.