11

"I'm worried that you've been so under the weather and uncomfortable, it might be time to call a physician," Andrea said to Taylor the night of their last injection

"I'm worried that you've been so under the weather and uncomfortable, it might be time to call a physician," Andrea said to Taylor the night of their last injection. Taylor was forcing down some dinner in the kitchen while Grace washed up the dishes and placed them in the dishwasher.

"Mom, I'm okay," it made Taylor sad to hear her mother so concerned and she decided to come clean, "I have to be honest, I'm not sick."

Grace looked up from the dishwasher with raised eyebrows but she only listened. She was surprised that Taylor had made it that long with telling her mom their plans, Andrea usually knew their business before Grace did. She was happy that Taylor and her mother had a great relationship, she had given her free reign long ago to share whatever details she wanted to to whoever she wanted to. About them or anything, really. Few things were off limits yet Taylor generally strayed away from the inquiries from curious ears.

"What do you mean...?" Andrea trailed off. She wasn't sure what to think about that.

"I've been taking these drugs— okay wait! Not drugs! They're injections to like, stimulate my ovaries to get my eggs collected. I'm supposed to have a procedure done on Tuesday to retrieve them and then hopefully we get some mature ones and those will be fertilized with the donor sperm we picked out and if all goes well... Grace might be pregnant like next week depending on her cycle! Isn't that cool? It's the stupid shots making me sick."

"Are you kidding me?" Andrea's voice perked up, "How- how long had y'all been planning this?!"

"About a week before the wedding, so like a month and a half," Taylor worried a little that she may be upset but Andrea laughed excitedly on the other end of the call.

"Oh my god! Okay! What's the donor like?"

"Uh— Blue eyes, crazy curly blond hair. The baby picture of him was super duper adorable. He was born in Pennsylvania with a good family history. He was in med school when he donated, he loves music and books and has no family history of disease or alcoholism so he was really like a perfect candidate. We got three uhm- batches, so we should be set for as many kids as we want."

It took them three days to pick him out with Grace's colour coded system but once they did, they both felt comfortable with that selection. Taylor even used one of those apps to mix the picture of her with the picture of him to see what the kid could look like and while it was slightly disturbing technology, she was pretty sure none of her friends had ever had a baby that cute.

"He sounds great. Why did you go with blue eyes and blond hair instead of green and brown like Grace?"

"Grace doesn't really want a kid like her," Taylor was still a little sad about it, "That's why we're using my eggs, too. Which is fine, she's willing to actually have the baby but you know, it makes me sad because I love her."

She glanced up at Taylor's soft spoken sentiment and offered a watery smile. Grace had finished cleaning up and was waiting on Taylor to finish eating her dinner so she could clear the plate. She had sat next to her and was listening to Andrea's reaction while playing with one of the little fidgety toys that had taken over their apartment lately.