13

"There's nine of them

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"There's nine of them."

"Nine?" Grace looked up after her online AA meeting. They'd spent the day before gracefully dodging questions friends and family had asked when they called to 'check in'. It turned out that nothing pulled people out of the woodwork like a potential baby.

They told everyone Taylor had an ovarian cyst and people stopped asking questions.

"Nine of the embryos look good," Taylor nodded as she covered her mouth to hide her smile, "We could have nine chances."

"Oh my god," Grace mimicked her gesture unknowingly and added again, just to be sure because that sounded way too good to be true, "We have nine?"

"Hopefully all nine stay good and we have nine shots at this before we have to essentially poison me again."

"I'm never making you go through that again," Grace got up, throwing the earbuds onto the keyboard of the laptop and pulling Taylor into a hug, "Did they just call?"

"Two minutes ago, I ran up the stairs," the singer admitted lightly. She pressed kiss after kiss to Grace'a face, she needed to keep moving about due to the excitement.

The embryos went into the freezer while they waited for the proper time with Grace's cycle. They both went on a trip upstate, Taylor filmed her studio sessions and Grace went and spent time with her family for the first time since before the pandemic.

"So," Amber said after Gracie had gone to bed. Michael was out feeding the horses and they were doing dishes. She would wash a plate and Grace would dry it and put it on the proper shelf.

"So what," Grace hummed in response, "Have we not been talking all day?"

"We're alone so you can tell me what the bottle of prenatal vitamins your niece brought to show me while you were in the shower are for."

Grace glared at her, "Why was she in my room and in my suitcase?"

"The kid loves you," Amber shrugged and then asked quietly, "Are you pregnant...?"

"No," she said firmly as she began to dry a cereal bowl, "Not yet."

"So it wasn't a cyst," the other recovered alcoholic hummed with a small smile, "I felt like that was bullshit. Taylor was really sick for a while, even Gracie noticed."

"I'm on a cocktail of vitamins and shit right now to prepare for it," Grace replied with a dry chuckle in the back of her throat, "We had eight embryos go into the freezer so fingers crossed."

They had nine at first but further checking showed an abnormality with one. Eight was still more than they had hoped for originally, Taylor even admitted that the two weeks of injections was worth it if that was the only time they ever had to do it.

"Are they putting one in at a time? Are you going for twins? That would be funny."

"Only one," Grace involuntarily gagged at the idea of having twins. That joke, despite twenty-eight years of being a twin, was too soon.