4

Over time, the songs came together to form some sort of other world for Taylor

Over time, the songs came together to form some sort of other world for Taylor. Stories not of her own, some from loved ones, some inspired purely by her imagination. After Amber and Michael gave their blessing and Grace finally listened to this is me trying, she started to put songs into slots.

Grace had told Taylor that the song she had written was absolutely wonderful and she was right, it did fall very close to home. Grace had been listening to it every day, finding a deep comfort in having a song that felt just like she did sometimes.

Some of them were downright rooted into her past, invisible string was written after they embroidered blankets to send to friends and old flames for their babies. Grace sent one to Charles for he and Ophelia's second child, while Taylor made quite a few and sent them out. She remembered telling Grace that she thought she was finally at peace with so much of the past.

When she wrote peace she was hesitant to let Grace hear it, only because it was made up of so many insecurities she thought she had moved past. Grace had been so gentle with her that night, so soft spoken and reassuring. Grace felt particularly touched by the line about swinging for the fences together, how things like that had become engrained in Taylor because of her.

She let illicit affairs come from the memories of sneaking in and out of Grace's home and hotel rooms before their relationship truly began. Not all of it was true, but she could feel the fear of sneaking out of a hotel room all over again, making sure to leave no trace behind again. Not after the snake ring had been wrapped in Grace's sheets the first night they met.

The opening track of the album, she knew it would be the 1, that had stemmed from their two day breakup a couple years before. The way Taylor had wanted so badly for it to have been Grace, wishing that something was different so it could have been. Then it was, so it was okay for her to reflect on that and move on from those feelings. She was happy where they were now.

Things pieced together like a puzzle, until a late May morning when Taylor came downstairs with the coffee Grace had left on her end table at some undisclosed time, long enough before that it was cold, and heard Grace at the piano.

It didn't happen often, sometimes it was too hard for Grace to sit there and not feel the pressure to perform a classical piece perfectly like she was trained to, which is why Taylor slowed her steps and lingered outside of the room as Grace and heard a slow, soft tune play as Grace sung.

"Betty, I won't make assumptions about why you switched your home room— is it called a home room?" Grace said to herself as she used google to answer her question, before singing the lyric again. She dabbled with songwriting after they started writing about the cats before, she figured it must have been because she spent so much time around Taylor.

Taylor was shocked by Grace actually writing something. Sure, Grace made her own instrumentals on the piano and wrote little jingles about the cats, but Grace didn't sing like that.