25

"Merry Christmas, Grace," Taylor lingered over Grace's body early that Thursday, Christmas Eve morning

"Merry Christmas, Grace," Taylor lingered over Grace's body early that Thursday, Christmas Eve morning. She peppered her face with gentle kisses and combed her hair out of the way, it was sweaty and sticky like Grace's forehead, she must've been having quite the dream.

"I don't want to wake up today," Grace groaned. She'd been dreading the day for a while. It was officially ten days after the embryo transfer and this time around, there was no implantation bleeding or otherwise.

Everything felt exactly the same as it did before except for the anxiety that trying to get pregnant after loss brought, which seemed to be a hundred times worse than the time before. Taylor had been incredibly sweet to her ever since and neither of them had suggested taking a test before that day, they were both scared of the answer it would have.

"You gotta wake up every day because you're my wife and I would like it very much if you could go pee in a cup," Taylor pressed a kiss to Grace's cheek lazily as she intertwined their fingers, "Could you do that for me?"

"You do it for me," Grace mumbled with a tinge of a small, sleepy smile on her face.

"I don't think it works like that," Taylor grinned against Grace's cheek, "I won't make you pee in a cup but we do have plans to go visit our sassy niece today and you were the one who said we would leave at eight. It's six-thirty so I figure that gives us enough time to cry either way and then get in the shower."

"Good point," Grace finally opened her green eyes and gave Taylor a proper good morning kiss. Taylor had worn her down on the morning breath thing long before, she'd gotten over it.

"Whatever happens, it's alright," Taylor promised the brunette before letting her get up.

Grace opened the door to the bathroom a couple minutes later and told Taylor she could come in. There were two tests on the countertop, laying capped on a sheet of toilet paper set down underneath them. She immediately put some toothpaste onto her brush and began to scrub away at her teeth so Taylor did the same. It was a nonverbal way of saying she didn't want to talk while the two minutes passed by. Taylor was okay with that, even with her heart pounding rapidly inside her chest.

Grace spit the toothpaste out and began to rinse both her mouth and the brush. She then looked at the blonde and waited for her to do the same in her own sink as the tests were between them.

"Your thoughts?" Grace inquired as she avoided looking at them.

"I'm just nervous," Taylor hugged her own arms.

"I don't think I am," Grace said but then clarified, "Pregnant, I mean. I'm scared out of my mind, though."

"What's the worst that the test is going to do, say no?"

"If we're thinking that way, it could say yes," Grace pursed her lips, "Okay, I'm just going to look. Fuck it, I've destroyed an entire multi-generational legacy, I can look at a pregnancy test."