18

"It didn't double," Taylor spoke hesitantly because a lump had formed in her throat, "Grace, what does that mean? It's

"It didn't double," Taylor spoke hesitantly because a lump had formed in her throat, "Grace, what does that mean? It's... it's okay, right? It could still go up, maybe the baby is just taking their time."

"Maybe," Grace kept her face straight and her voice steady, "I know it means that we are at an increased risk of not having a successful pregnancy."

"No, it's fine," Taylor reassured Grace, but mostly herself with words she didn't necessarily believe, "Guppy is just off to a slow start."

"I'm probably going to lose the baby, Taylor," the brunette gulped. There was no other way she could think to put it. Something all day had her on edge, maybe she could tell before it happened, "It was possible before and it's probable now."

"No," Taylor breathed out with a shake of her head, "No, it's okay. That's our baby, they aren't going anywhere."

"Tay..." Grace didn't need the denial right now. She needed to hear it would be okay too but she couldn't believe it, not when she knew the odds, "It should have doubled and it didn't double."

"It can still go up!" Taylor put her hands into her hand to fight the stress. She cleared her throat and pulled her phone out, "We'll call Doctor Parker right now and she'll say the same thing."

"I might lose the baby, Taylor. You have to understand that!" Grace snapped. Her hands were shaking and she felt like she was drinking salt water. It took her a moment to register that it was her tears, she was crying and she hadn't even realized it at first.

"No, you're not! You're not going to lose our baby because that isn't happening. Who decides that? Does some fucking... does some magic bird flap it's wings three times and boom, it's gone? No! It's going to be fine, Guppy is going to be fine."

"Would you stop calling it that? It's a clump of cells!" Grace knew she needed to remove herself from the situation for a moment. If they kept panicking against one another it was going to spiral out of control, so she shook her head when Taylor reached to hold her and walked out of the dining room where they had been playing Scrabble and towards the master bedroom.

In a box in their bathroom was all of the pregnancy tests, they couldn't throw them away yet. They were all capped and mostly sanitized, but they still had lines on them. Grace's hand shook as she looked at them one by one, sobbing to herself. She knew Taylor had followed her up to the bedroom, she could hear the scared crying coming from the bed as she waited.

It took her twenty minutes to relax her body enough to breathe properly and by the time she did, Taylor was there with a cup of tea, a warm blanket and a box of tissues.

"I'm sorry," Grace choked out and Taylor immediately pulled her close and rubbed her back.

"I'm sorry I went straight for denial and didn't listen," Taylor replied with her own tears streaming down her face, "You really think it's just a clump of cells?"