16

Taylor and Grace were both crying as the faint line seemed to appear on the second test, too

Taylor and Grace were both crying as the faint line seemed to appear on the second test, too. It was barely noticeable, they had to look for it, but when the timer finally went off and they jumped from the sudden loud noise they had forgotten to expect, there was definitely a faint line.

"A baby," Taylor covered her hand with her mouth. She couldn't believe it, "A baby, Grace."

"It's not for sure, it's so early," Grace shut her eyes to fight the tears but she couldn't keep them away. She pressed her hands over her face as Taylor embraced her again and stroked her palms up and down Grace's arms in a comforting manner.

"I don't even care, there's a line," Taylor mumbled as their foreheads touched once Grace put her hands down. Taylor kissed her for only a second, it was too hard to keep composure during the embrace as emotions wrecked both of them.

"I'm shaking," Grace showed the blonde her hand. It was as though it was vibrating, every inch of her body was full of every emotion she could imagine.

"I didn't think it would work," Taylor admitted. It was still too soon to know for sure, it could have been a multitude of things. A chemical pregnancy, faulty tests, an embryo that wouldn't stick in the end. It was way too soon to celebrate, to pretend it was safe.

"Don't jinx it," Grace sniffled and wrapped her fingers around Taylor's now mostly tear stained shirt.

"Gah!" Taylor exclaimed as she pulled Grace close again, "I'm sure you're glowing. Do you feel like you're glowing?"

"You're ridiculous," Grace offered a weak smile to her wife, "Actually, I feel... petrified."

"It'll work out how it's supposed to work out," Taylor intertwined their pinky fingers and then kissed the end of hers to make it a promise. Sometimes, just sometimes, she had to be the responsible wise one.

The responsible wise one also made Grace relax all day long, she wasn't risking a thing. Grace wasn't even allowed to make her own coffee, Taylor brought her up a cup of decaf. Grace pretended not to notice the difference because Taylor was thoughtful with her gesture.

The lines got progressively darker each morning until day ten after the transfer, when Grace finally took the only test she was actually supposed to.

"You're— you're... Grace, Gracie... Gracie Ann, you are pregnant," Taylor stuttered out as she looked at the digital test that actually had the world pregnant on it. She took a seat on the edge of the bathtub next to Grace as they both stared at it in shock.

"I'm pregnant," Grace gulped, it was something she found herself doing often. It was a hard pill to swallow, overall just hard to process. There was no amount of planning or hope in the world that made it feel real until she saw that word on the little stick with a cap on the end.

"Can we give it a nickname now?" Taylor asked with a laugh.

"Whatever you want," Grace replied, "I can't think of anything right now."