|| 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ||

SEASON THREE - EPISODE FIFTEEN
"AN OLD FRIEND CALLS"

...Mikaelson Compound...

An emotionless-looking Klaus has just taken a painting off of the wall in the study, revealing a safe that was built into the bricks behind it. He spins the dial and puts in the combination to open it. Inside is a wooden box, which he opens gently as he walks away from the safe. Inside the box is a stack of old letters in fading envelopes. Suddenly, Freya and Elijah join him in the room.

"You collect trophies from all your victims?" Freya asks incredulously.

"Letters to their loved ones, to be specific" Elijah corrects.

Klaus tries to ignore them as he starts to look through the letters.

"It was a phase" Klaus mutters absentmindedly.

"A phase in which we were forced to learn a different kind of stealth" Elijah says.

He sits forward in his chair to continue the story for Freya and the audience's benefit.

"You see, over time, Niklaus' enemies grew so numerous, we had no choice but to artfully withdraw from the world" Elijah says.

Klaus gives Elijah an offended look.

"And then..." Elijah trailed off.

Freya gives him a curious and exasperated look, and he turns to address her.

"Well, I wouldn't exactly describe our presence in this city as discrete. Wouldn't you agree, Niklaus?" Elijah asks.

Klaus, exasperated and frustrated, finally joins the conversation in earnest.

"We all saw the white oak destroyed! Plus, this city is crawling with vampires, all of whom had no choice but to shield me from potential foes! Were I to die, they would die, too. I couldn't have been more safe!" Klaus says.

Klaus is starting to look extremely worried now.

"And now my sire link is undone. Those very foes will come for me...like never before" Klaus answers quietly.

"It's only been a few days since the link was broken. Must you jump into crippling paranoia already?" Freya sighs.

"It's a default setting" Elijah rolls his eyes.

"And for good reason!" Klaus angrily stares.

Elijah stands to his feet to walk over to where Klaus is standing.

"Well, Niklaus, if it offers you any solace whatsoever, you've ransacked Aya's belongings, torched Aurora's hunting ground, and obliterated every last splinter of the white oak" Elijah says, trying to sound as assured as possible.

Klaus lowers his voice threateningly.

"I would be mad to believe that" he whisper with a glare.

"Perhaps you should see a therapist" Elijah suggested with a pointed look.

Well, you see, the past few days, Klaus has been doing everything in his power to avoid Rosalind, which was driving her to the edge. In his mind, the more he distances himself from her, safer she will be and away from potential danger towards him.

In his mind, it made every sense.

But come on, is his mind, it also makes sense ripping someone's head before any questions were made.

So...

Klaus, realizing he means Rosalind, sighs deeply. He looks over at Freya, who still looks exasperated by his behavior, before walking away without another word. Elijah takes a deep breath, and Freya gives Elijah a skeptical look.