Sean felt his eyes misting up. 

"And you're my hero at the very least... for what that's worth."

"It's worth loads," Sean said, his voice cracking.

Annalee smiled

"I'm terrible sorry I couldn't come," Sean said, sitting up proper, "My grandmum --"

"Sean, you owe me no excuses, I can see it in your eyes how exhausted you are. It wouldn't have been the proper time to be coming." She shook her head, "No honey, you don't need to explain anything."

Sean's lip trembled ever so slightly. She'd seen a photograph on the wall in the cottage in Dunlewey - one of the many that were lost now - he'd been a boy with a pouty lower lip and so many freckles across his sun-kissed face... and he looked such a lot like that photo now, though paler and less freckled, the boy in the photograph was very much the young man who sat across from her, frothed to the surface by the heartache of the day.

"It wasn't the right time for a deal of things that were planned for last night. Marlene and Em didn't tell mum and dad they're together, for starts, and of course you didn't make your debut to society," she smirked. "Archie and Finley were on about something, too, but neither came out with whatever it was, and honestly the dinner was mostly mum and dad discussing where Fin was getting a flat and a long discussion between Marlene and Archie about whether Fin was corrupted by American culture because of the way he held his silverware."

"But you were there, so it would've been an enchanted evening." 

"Eh, there'll be other dinners," Annalee replied. "Now that he's back on the right side of the pond, mum and dad'll be reimplementing Sunday night dinners. The whole family - and only family. Every Sunday night. You'll be invited eventually, of course."

"Oh?"

"I mean, if you stick 'round long enough, that's the idea, isn't it? Becoming family?" Annalee asked, sipping more of the beer that Tom had sent over. She studied Sean's face over the glass as she drank.

He looked hopeful.

She smiled and reached out and held his hand with her free one as she put down the glass of beer. She took a deep breath. "What's your favorite song?"

"I haven't really got one," he said.

"Mine is Always On My Mind by Elvis Presley," Annalee said. 

"Elvis Presley?" Sean asked.

"Mhm." She squeezed his fingers.

"Why?"

"I don't know, I've just always liked it. My auntie was a fan and she used to play his records for us when we were little. Mum and Dad didn't approve which made it all the more delicious to get to hear him when we visited Auntie Jo's house." Annalee smiled, then, "Why don't you have a favorite song?"

"I listen to primarily classical music," he answered. "Or whatever they were doin' at the local pub, y'know? That's the best sort of music anyway, if you're askin' me, the sort that just picks up and none of the hearers can help but stomp a beat and the next y'know you're dancin' and the world's cares are at least three or four minutes of song away because yer forgettin' anything else when you're movin' to it."

Annalee smiled, "You'll have to take me sometime."

Sean nodded, "Aye, I will."

They chatted on for some time, getting to know one another even more, and Sean felt some of the weariness fading off, though he was still exhausted it was a different sort of weariness now and when the clock was striking midnight, and he was starting to nod, Annalee laughed and kissed his hand, "Sean, love I think it's time you go to bed. But I'd love it if we could see each other tomorrow again, if for just a short time? Perhaps I'll come for tea again?"

"Ah, yeah," he said, nodding.

She smiled, "Alright."

She glanced at the stairwell. Annie Buckner was standing on the steps, watching them. She had been for several minutes by then, her eyes wide as they'd been talking. Annalee stood up and Sean did too, and she went 'round the table and gave him a hug, and he hugged her back, a big warm thing like being wrapped up in safety and she could smell the Guinness and a scent that reminded her of warm summer days and the loam of vegetable gardens and sun-heated moss, of laughing and laying in grass... Something like the scent of the greenhouses in Hogwarts and she stared up at him because she could picture little stone cottages and children and a whole future being spent in those arms. All things that would come in the great big Someday.

"Good night, Sean," she whispered.

It occurred to her, even as she spoke the words, that one day... one day she wouldn't have to say them to him in parting.

It was the way she just knew that they belonged together.

It was the way his arms were home and no others would do.

"G'night, Annalee," he said.

Sean turned and he saw his grandmother then, watching him, and he flushed and glanced back at Annalee, smiled, and headed for the stairs. "Ah Gran what're yeh doin', spyin' on me like that?"

Annie Buckner watched Annalee as she crossed the pub to the floo and she looked back at Sean and said, "I wasn't spying!"

"You were, though," Sean said, climbing the stairs.

Annie's eyes followed the pretty girl as she threw her powder and stepped into the hearth, and muttered, "I was just thinkin' how soon I'm goin' to be having to buy myself a hat."