Chapter 58

Caspian remembered the way Rurina had said his name, when was the last time someone had called him by that name?

That made his heart ache as he remembered Aurora, the way she had said his name and the way when he first started to court her, how she would get surprised when he broke her barriers.

She was tentative at first and he smiled when he remembered her professing her love for him. Caspian looked at the moon from the jail cell.

As long as they were under the same moon they could not be separated. He heard someone calling him and he turned towards the sound, it was Rurina.

She motioned for him to come towards him, and he did. She handed him a sweet potato and she rushed away.

He sat back down and was thankful for the extra food he had gotten. He ate it in a matter of minutes and he leaned back.

His looks had changed drastically, he had callouses on his hands. When he went to sleep he at times would dream of Aurora and he didn't want to wake up.

Yet the next morning would arrive and he had to face the cruel reality. He went out to the field to start his work.

"Morning!"

Caspian looked up and it was Rurina, "Morning."

"Here I bought so something."

Rurina handed him some bread, and he took it, he ate it. He was famished, "Thank you Rurina."

She had a wide smile on her face, "I'm glad my friend."

Rurina knelt beside him and began to tote rocks for him,

"You don't have to Rurina."

"I want to, this way I can spend time with you. To keep you company."

Caspian realized that there was no use in chasing her away as she would not leave,

"How was life before you came here?"

"Why are you curious about my life?"

"I have never been anywhere besides here, I want to know what life is like out there," Rurina replied and he could see that she was very curious.

"Well it is way better than here, there are balls and dances. Women wear gowns and there is more variety of food."

"That sounds so free."

"It is."

Rurina looked around suspiciously, and lowered her voice, "If you ever want to escape, please don't leave me behind."

Caspian was surprised at her request, "What of your family?"

"They will manage, Father has a lot more children and I am not in the good books."

Caspian did not know if she was trying to set a trap for him, so he would confess to wanting to escape.

He had to take a leap of faith, "I won't."

"Thank you so much, Caspian!"

Days went by and Caspian expected to get arrested if Rurina had told her father that he was planning to escape but none of that happened.

Instead, he was accosted by her at every turn, she was always around him and wanted to hear more about his life in the palace.

She would get excited every time he told her something new. Another year had gone by, and Caspian could no longer live like this, he would rather die trying.

"Rurina is it possible for you to secretly get the key from the guard."

Rurina nodded, "I can, I would have to drug them of course."