Chapter 42

Her heart was in her throat, and she wanted to refuse but before she could answer Caspian pulled out her chair and took her hand.

He lead them to the dance floor and she didn't want to look at anyone, she should be happy that he asked her to dance but now she was feeling sick to her stomach.

Caspian pulled her in very close as he smiled at her, "that garland looks beautiful on you my love." Caspian whispered in her ear.

She nodded, "Thank you."

"What's eating you up?"

"Nothing My Lord."

"Don't lie to me Aurora I could tell with the way you have been acting tonight, you barely ate and you wouldn't look at me no matter how much I looked at you and you seemed to be close to tears."

Aurora was surprised that he was observing her so intently, "I just have a few things on my mind that is all."

"We will talk about this later."

"Have you danced with Nadia?"

"No, I wanted my first dance to be with the love of my life."

Aurora nodded and relished being in Caspian's arms, what was done was done, she was already the black sheep.

Caspian pulled her much closer, "You are hurting my feelings Aurora."

"How?"

"I want you to focus on me and only me."

"Can we do this in private?"

"No Aurora everyone has to know you belong to me and me only. I want my parents to notice you."

Aurora stiffened, she remembered that they were watching and Nadia was probably stirring the pot.

"What is wrong?"

"I think it would be appropriate if you were dancing with Nadia."

"No................."

"Hear me out, your parents want to keep the relations and I realized that I was being selfish and you have to do what you have to do, to succeed on the throne."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"I know that and I will be supporting you behind the scenes."

Caspian nodded, "Let's enjoy the rest of our dance."

Aurora swayed in his arms and shut everything out, she put her mindset in a world where they could be together without all these social norms.

When the song finished Caspian walked her back to her sit and she sat down and he tucked her back in.

As soon as he went back to his seat the gossip started,

"I can't believe she gets the first dance over Nadia." Hazel started.
"She must have done something for him to become like this," Lilian added.

Aurora was quiet in her own bubble, she could see from her peripheral view Caspian asking Nadia to dance and they went to the dance floor.

His parents were beaming at them, and she hid her emotions, Caspian was smiling at her and they seemed to be in love.

"I have never seen the prince smile like that." This time it was Clara.

"As it should be," Rachel added.

"The king and queen even look happy for them." Caroline chimed in.

"Why are you so silent Aurora?" Hazel asked her.

"I am enjoying the night."

"Don't they look so much in love?" Caroline asked her.

Aurora smiled, "They do."