Chapter 1

Aurora woke up in her dark room as it was dawn and there was no light yet. She lit the candle beside her bed.

She climbed out of bed, Her room was very small, depressing, and it was just enough to fit her bed, and a bit of leg room to put a narrow table where her uniform resided.

This was deemed to be more than enough for a female maid, and could not complain as she worked in the palace, as long as she got there on time and well-prepped that was all that mattered.

She wondered why they had to be so well prepped when they were the maids and no one saw them as they usually cleaned when the royals were either asleep or having dinner or attending balls and banquets.

She took soap and a sponge, then headed outside, It was cold as usual but she was still not used to it no matter how many times this routine of hers was done.

Aurora took a wooden bucket and went to the well that was a good ten minutes from where she lived. She got to the well and got some water.

She carried the water back to the bathroom stalls that were situated outside. They were a very small square, which had a wooden door.

It was very hard to move but she scrubbed herself whilst her teeth were clattering from the cold. She poured the water on herself and immediately woke up in an instant.

After finishing and putting back her garment on and headed out back to her room. The candle at least bought a bit of light, after undressing quickly and putting on her normal uniform which was a brown plain blouse and an ankle-long brown skirt, and long stockings underneath, with black, closed-off shoes, This was determined to be prim and proper.

Aurora took a worn-out brush and brushed her hair back, it was red and unruly at times but by now she was used to it and how to deal with it.

She tied it up around and it was a full bun. She took a can to see how it looked. She was happy with the results as this is how she was supposed to look at all times.

She made her way to the palace, It would take a good twenty minutes, not everyone was lucky enough to get a servant's quarters in the palace which made it all the easier.

It was all about who you knew or how you were related, or the ranking of the workers played advantage to them.

With none of those, she was in a pickle. She got on her bicycle and made her way to the palace. The road was a bit bumpy and a bit hard as dawn was breaking.

When she was cleared and went in with her bicycle to the stalls where you could leave them there. She straightened her uniform and made sure to finish any last touches.

Aurora made her way to the staff kitchen and was glad that they at least provided her with some bread and tea before they started work.

The room was already booming with chatter and laughter, lucky to those that got there early as they stayed there and the perks of being in the palace's servant quarters were great, hot water was available to them and at times they could eat the leftovers that were left behind by the prestige.

The temperature increased significantly from the cold and cruel weather that she had come from. She could now feel her face a bit.

Her nose was probably red from numbness, they used to laugh at her because of that but thank goodness the joke eventually died down.

She went to get some tea first as her hands felt frozen from the trip, After taking a cup, and went to the tea station where they filled it up and was given a piece of bread.

"Aurora."

She said as they ticked off her name from the list, They only got one serving each but she knew that the ones who lived in the palace got more as they knew each other and the kitchen staff was often way more giving if you bought them something special such as a hairpin.