Chapter 2

"My apologies," Aurora bowed her head.

She could see the man was tall and very muscular, he was trying to see her face but would not look up as that was not allowed.

"Wh..............."

Aurora's heart beat wildly, he wanted to know her name so that he could make her get dismissed by a single word.

"Caspian."

She saw that his attention was turned to someone else, and took the chance to slide away very fast,

"Douglas." He responded, his voice was rich and she could tell they knew each other very well as there was affection and playfulness in their voices.

"Wait!"

She could hear one of them calling out to her, after turning the corner, Aurora dashed as fast as her feet could carry her.

She stopped after being well hidden and was breathing heavily, she went to search for the laundry room which also took time.

Everything was new to her as she had never been in this part of the palace. It was nice to work inside, her hands had callouses from all the hard labor, and the only upside to having cold weather was that your skin stayed fair and that was the only advantage.

She finally found it and dropped off the clothes, then went back to their slave's quarters kitchen as it was time for some lunch.

After getting her portion of soup and checking her name in, Aurora made her way to her friends. She sat down,

"Did you hear, Constance has the measles," Evelyn had started already on the gossip that was spreading like wildfire.

"I know it's a shame and it times like these when medication is scarce and very costly." Agnes chimed in.

"I wonder who took over her duties? I mean Constance was in the very high ranks you know." Lucy whispered.

"I did."

Everyone turned to her, "Aurora you lucky bastard, how did you manage to do it? Let us in on the secret." Ida asked her.

"Cathy called me, and I went inside and found Madam. She assigned me to the room."

"Did you meet any handsome men?" Lucy asked eagerly.

"I only met two but I didn't get to see their faces."

"Bummer." As everyone's excitement dimmed down significantly.

"It's only her first day you know, and we don't know how long Cathy will have the measles for," Agnes added once more.

"Who knows? You might marry rich Aurora. And we will serve her." Ella added and they all burst out laughing.

That was so far-fetched as the rich only married in their social class, even if it was meant for the benefit of the countries and was all political, it stayed that way.

The sad thing for them is if you got married you aren't allowed to carry on working here, as only single women are allowed to.

Madam Beatrice was alone till this day so she would not get kicked out of the palace, so some girls dated in secret, and when things got too serious they would leave the palace and marry, or some were forced to if they were with child and could not hide it.

It was a pity that some girls used unmentionable methods to get rid of the baby and end up dying altogether but a few were lucky to live.

Then they were some with secret lovers and when things got too serious they would have to sacrifice love for livelihood as both would be coming from no means and this was the only way they could survive.

They did not have the luxury of the elite to do as they pleased. Personally, she avoided men and love altogether,

Aurora could not see herself in a relationship and walking away from it so easily, she didn't want the heartache some carried, the regrets, the pain, the numbness, or the depression some fell into.

Her friends often encouraged her to be bolder and out there but did not want to be. She liked being reserved and closed off.

Aurora didn't want the same thing that she had experienced in the past to ever happen to her again.

No food for days, no clean water, no candles, nothing. Life was way too cruel at those times.

She shuddered at the thought.

Aurora hated it when she would have memories from the past, it was a place that she did not want to visit.

It was a dark and lonely place,

"Aurora are you even listening to us?"

"Sorry?"

She did not even know who had asked the question all she heard was her name and that made her come back to the present.

"My point exactly, where does your mind wander off to? Did this handsome man you met today make you daydream and want unicorns and rainbows." Lucy said dramatically.

"As if."

"You should have a little bit of fun you know, we are not getting any younger by the day," Agnes added.

"Why do you make it seem as if we are old?"

"Exactly you are nineteen Aurora, You should live a little." Evelyn chimed in.

"I do live, can we drop the subject and enjoy our lunch."

"Fine but this is far from over." Said Ella this time.

When lunch was over she went to the Madam,

"You did well Aurora."

"Thank you, Madam."

"Here Aurora." The Madam called out to her.

Aurora went up to her and took the sheet,

"These are your new duties, what you need to prepare, You will be in charge of that room, and I expect no less from you."

"Yes, madam."

"When slots open up in the palace I will make sure you get in the servants' quarters in the palace, as of current the slots are all full but I will keep you at the top of the list. This is a very huge duty and I can't be let down."

"I understand madam and you have no reason to be concerned at all."

"That's what I like to hear. And remember Aurora women who serve the palace aren't allowed to be in affairs with any men. You belong to the palace."

"Yes Madam, I understand."

"A pity honestly Aurora, such beauty going to waste but you have to sacrifice a lot in order to live."

Aurora nodded, "I am fully committed to serving the palace."

"You are dismissed then, and make sure to study that and know it from the back of your head."

"Yes, Madam, and thank you."

"You may leave."

With that Aurora was happy and clutched the paper on her chest, Her luck was finally turning around, it would be such a joy getting the chance to live in the servant's quarters.

Then there would be no need to be away from her friends, and it meant she could also bath with hot water.

She felt bad about being overjoyed as one of her mates was lying ill and fighting for her life. She would not have to sweep endlessly every day and scrub the courts.

She twirled around and thanked the heavens for opening up and for her to be the one chosen for this position.

Early access: www.patreon.com/taniashava