Kanroji Mitsuri x Female Child Reader(Platonic)

*Lamia Au
Requested by: melsness9

Summary: despite not being human, Oyakata-sama had still allowed Mitsuri to be a part of the Demon Slayer Corps.  Though she made the other Pillars uncomfortable, she became a Hashira.  She found herself longing for anyone that wouldn't see her as a monster. 

On the way to her most recent mission, Kanroji Mitsuri thought about the tragedy that was her life.

Maybe tragedy wasn't the right word, but still a pretty close to what she meant.

She was an outcast to demons, who wanted to experiment on her to see if she could make them immune to the sun.  She was feared by the humans she swore to protect.  And she was hated by the people she worked with every day.

Sure, they didn't do anything outright to show that they hated her.  But it was obvious.  They never went out of their way to invite her to hangout: she had to rely on the information the crows shared with each other for that.

The only non-lamia being who didn't want her dead was her crow.  And that was a sad life to live.

There wasn't much she could do about it though.  She had gifts other humans didn't, but she couldn't force them to love her.  All she could hope for was peace.

She lived that way for a long time.  Waiting for someone, anyone, to not hate her. 

After so long, her wishes were answered.

Her little miracle came in the form of a young child. 

Like usual, she'd gone on her mission in her human form.  Demons were more likely to come to her if they thought she was normal.

Unlike usual though, this demon was strong.  Strong enough that she had to change into her other form and gain the extra strength and speed.

With the help of that, she was able to defeat the demon.  But the village it had been terrorizing had seen her.

They started screaming, some of them even going so far as to throw rocks and kitchen knives at her.  Since none of it was silver, she wasn't harmed too badly, but she'd fled to the nearby forest before they could figure out her weakness.

She'd cried.  The soul crushing loneliness hit her like a tidal wave, and she couldn't stop crying.

Dimly, in the back of her mind, she registered the feeling of someone hugging her, registered that she wasn't in her human form, but didn't react.  She couldn't react.

When she snapped out of it at last, she noticed the child. 

Mitsuri couldn't see its face, but she could smell it was a female.  She had H/C hair, and her arms were wrapped around Mitsuri's waist.

The child had fallen asleep while hugging her.  Considering how late it was, Mitsuri wondered why she was out here, and why no one came looking for her.

She shrugged those concerns off, and figured she'd wait until you woke up to ask.  The bigger problem was trying to move and stand up, without waking you up.

She soon found that to be an impossible feat, and gave up.  She chose instead to wrap her tail around herself and the child, a scaly blanket warm enough to keep the cold out.

For the first time in years, Mitsuri slept happily. 

This child had saved her from her feelings of depression, from never being accepted by humanity.

So when Mitsuri woke up, she kept the child.  She was young enough not to remember her parents much anyway, and whenever she asked Mitsuri told her they'd abandoned her.

And Mitsuri kept you safe.

606 words
3 chapters in a day?  I'm on a roll