22. The Violet Night Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

In an instant, he blew up into a lavender inferno leaving him in as much a similar state of charred death as the captain before him. One by one this repeated in the span of no more than a fraction of a second, killing each of the people the phantom touched before it flew into the body of a surprised Captain Ophelia.

Slowly and painfully she began to demonize as the blood that boiled out of her body, slowly turned into a pitch-black tar-like substance. The voice of the sixty-year-old woman briefly yelled out in pain as she struggled to try and keep the demon trapped inside her as long as she could.

"R-Run!"

Tatsuo took the opportunity to try and get the last few of his men and women as far away from the threat as he could, boosting the strength of the flames under their feet as they tried to rocket themselves away to safety over the rooftops of the surrounding buildings. He redirected his attention to his dying friend as he raised his hands above his head.

"Requip."

The captain's voice was calm but held an unbridled fury and a deep sadness as he uttered the spell. Above his head a large curved blade materialised in his grasp, the blade of the large kriegsmesser seemingly emerging from the mouth of a metal skull atop the S-shaped crossguard.

"Feast, Taima-nai Kiga."

The eyes of the skull that held the blade in its mouth glowed a bright red before the jaw opened up further. A suctionary power began to pull towards the blade as the skull devoured the ethernano in the air, and as the demon's purple flames that were drifting off the nearby corpses and captain flew into the skeletal maw, the blade itself took on a black and purple tint.

"Demons, dragons, gods, it's hilarious how you're weak to your own magic." The captain spoke as he levelled the blade with his chest, the blade pointed towards the creature that was once his friend. "I took pleasure in killing a fire god out of the challenge alone but killing you is entirely personal. Die, you foul creature!"

Black veins seemed to stretch across her neck and up the rest of her face, while her flesh continued to burn and blister and the whites of her Ophelia's eyes melted out of their sockets. A deranged smile twisted onto her face as she lunged at Tatsuo with her own blade which had started to melt due to the heat of the environment.

Ohelia's strike didn't stand a chance, her blade shattering the second it came in contact with the older wizard leaving for the black and purple sword to strike cleanly into her side, severing her arm as the kriegsmesser slashed into her body.

But there was no scream of pain from the corpse as it fell limply into his arms, only the cruel cackling of the wraith as it flew over Tatsuo and through the buildings of the village in search of its actual target. The captain tried to follow, but the spectre was able to evade him, leaving him to swing his blade at the structures it hid in destroying a large chunk of the city with a single strike. When he failed to find the ghost, he began a mad dash in the direction his men and women ran with growing frustration evident on his face.

 When he failed to find the ghost, he began a mad dash in the direction his men and women ran with growing frustration evident on his face