21. The Violet Night Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

The proud man would rather die.

But Empusa chose to die herself, burning her own body alive so that he wouldn't get the knowledge of these curses as she doubted she would have been powerful enough to fight him even with the curses she created.

She died with immense hatred in her heart, however. She and every other member of the Ifriti clan. They became wraiths, ghosts that sought only revenge, and hearing the last of their line calling for them gave them a chance to get that revenge.

The Ifriti clan began to devour the souls that were summoned alongside them so that they could devour their progenitor and let their youngest of kin devour them, passing on their will in the process.

Which is why they were disappointed with the outcome of the third year of their plan.

While the second year was a bountiful feast thanks to the machinations of their living servant, Himura Ohta, this year there were no souls to be found. Tourists and citizens alike were panicking and outraged by this fact for various reasons, creating chaos across the village that they had no choice but to act upon...

 Tourists and citizens alike were panicking and outraged by this fact for various reasons, creating chaos across the village that they had no choice but to act upon

Within the heart of the village, guards attempted and failed to calm down the rampaging occupants. Amongst the black-robed pyromancers and enchanters stood a few notable characters.

"Uncle! Do you have any clue as to what's happening!?" Shouted Akihiko, the Vice-Captain who led the village's police force.

"No! This has never happened before! I can only assume the spirits were angered by something and refused to come!" Barely hearing him over the raucous populace, the giant elderly man yelled back. His attention was grabbed as he saw one of his subordinates' two-toned hair which gave him an idea. "Totomaru!"

"Yes, Captain!?"

"Work with Vice-Captain Akihiko to begin guiding people outside of the city! Move quick, I have a bad feeling!"

"Yes, Captain!"

The rampage of angry civilians continued for a long minute before a cloud of pungent-smelling orange flames began to roll above the crowds. Disgusted by the smell, people began to vomit and recoil due to the extreme sulfuric stench.

"If you want the smell to go away then begin evacuating the town! Move it, people! Move it!"

The sound of the crude Vice-Captain offering them a reprieve from the stench was welcomed, albeit begrudgingly, by the masses. Making her way over to the titanic captain, a young thirteen-year-old girl with purple eyes coughed with disdain towards her colleagues' actions.

"*cough* *cough* *cough* Was that really a good idea, Captain?"

"Aye, lass," Captain Tatsuo responded, covering his nose with the sleeves of his black haori. "Do you not feel it?"

"Feel what?"

"It's midnight, Lyssa. It should be cold, even in this Himura, but it's growing hotter by the second."