Chapter 19: Spiders

Start from the beginning

"You know what, Silvio?" Kim said aloud to no one. "It's customary to like, take a broom to the space before you hand over the keys."

"Oh. Hello Kim," Silvio said, from a back corner of the room, like he was fake-surprised to see her.

"AH!" Kim said. "Oh, hi, it's you. So you saw the news? I'll take those keys now I guess?"

"Yes, I saw the news. I saw you," Silvio said, his voice eerily calm and even. He was standing within a particularly dense clump of spider webs, such that it was difficult to tell where his gross ponytail ended and the webs began. "I saw you with Brandon Marlo."

Now that Kim was standing still in the room she saw that there were spiders crawling around everywhere, hundreds of them, in every corner of the room, not just in the webs but moving along the walls and floors and over and around Silvio as well.

"Right???" Kim said. "Your fav! Brandon's back on the scene, as promised. Never doubt me, Silvio. I do amazing shit all day."

"You were supposed to get him out of retirement," Silvio said.

"Uh yeah, and I did?"

"You weren't supposed to DATE him," Silvio said, vehemence rising with each word until he was practically spitting them at her.

Silvio looked, like, not good. He hadn't been even remotely attractive the last time Kim had been here, but now he looked even worse. His eyes were red and hollow, like two open wounds on his face. And his voice shook, like he had difficulty forming the words.

"I'm going to suggest that you check yourself immediately," Kim said. "One, I'm not dating Brandon. Two, it's none of your business if I am. And Three, I only do whatever I want so who cares what you think about anything."

A spider crawled out of Silvio's beard and moved across his face, vanishing somewhere beneath his greasy ponytail.

"You should care," he said. "You are mine. You can't just toss me to the side after one date. You will need to make this up to me. You must prove your devotion. We will begin with a 12-hour date during which we will kiss extensively, voraciously exploring each other's mouths. Then there will be more dates, and once we are engaged, then and only then will I grant you access to the store. It will be your dowry."

"My WHAT?!? Silvio you are off the goddamn rails here son."

"Our next date begins NOW," he hissed, glaring furiously at Kim.

This was so bizarre Kim couldn't help but laugh. "Silvio, do you remember what I said the last time I was here?"

"That your love for me was undying and that you would honor and obey me eternally, both in this life and the ones that come after?"

"Um no, I did not say any of that. What I said is that Silvio Carbone is the literal worst. And do you know what's changed since then?"

"What."

"Nothing. Except now I also have my phone, so I don't need your permission to take possession of this store. So, bye, Silv. Can't say it's been a pleasure."

Kim began idly scrolling through her emoji, trying to decide on a just fate for sad Silvio.

"This is my domain," Silvio said. "I am the master here, and you underestimate my powers at your own peril!"

All at once, from every corner of the room, spiders began emerging from their webs and making their way towards Kim. There were hundreds, and then thousands of them, climbing down from the rafters and skittering across the walls and floor and ceiling, and even streaming out from around Silvio's body itself, a tsunami of arachnids all baring down on Kim.