45

04

04

TRUDGING THROUGH rock and dust, you made your way through your home district. the colossal titans managed to leave most of the southern side untouched, but since you had come back, it felt weird.

weird to look up and no longer be surrounded by the walks that had plagued your life ever since you were born.

inhaling deeply, you grabbed the doorknob or your old home and stepped inside.

it was the same as you had left it last time; that was a given, though. if you had remembered well, eren said he left your things on your bed.

taking a good look at your surroundings, you could almost hear the faint sound of you and eren running around your home chasing after one another — hear the laughs of your parents as they lifted their pans in the air to avoid colliding with the two of you.

your lips twitched into a soft smile. ever since the day that every named the battle of heaven and earth, you had been hesitant on making your way up here again.

but, when you heard the demolition plans to rebuild your island, you knew you had to come up here sooner or later.

so, you grabbed the side railing on your stairs and made your way up.

the door to your bedroom was cracked open. it must have been from where eren entered and exited.

honestly, you could probably see him doing something cliché as climbing your ladder and leaving everything on your balcony.

however, the old thing really wasn't stable anyway. grabbing a hold of the knob, you pushed the door open.

everything was still covered in duet except for a small black box, red covered book, and paper that sat on your bed. the comforter seemed to have been wiped off and freed of the dust that surrounded it.

inhaling sharply, your feet didn't seem like they wanted to move closer to the objects.

it was like you wanted to preserve this moment forever — to always wonder what he wanted to tell you.

would it have been better that?

if you never knew what his last wishes were?

you shook your head; no, you didn't want to live like that. shuffling towards your bed, your hand instinctively grabbed the worn paper first.

on the front, in eren's bold handwriting, read: to my princess, y/n l/n. the girl on the balcony.

your heart skipped a beat, nearly causing you to cough. closing your eyes for a moment, you attempted to muster up enough courage to actually unfold the note.