28

03

03

TROTTING alongside your friends, you admired the fields you once trained at. amongst the peers you smiled, laughed, and cried with. the ones fought beside, and the ones you lost along the way.

it was like opening a memory gate from so very long ago — even though it had only been less than five months since you graduated.

"you didn't know? training corps instructor shaids was the 12th commander of the survey corps, just before erwin," hange informed. "it's been a while since we've seen him, too."

it had been a while since you last saw him. you could remember his face distinctly though, as it was one you saw everyday for three years straight. the face that whipped you into shape to become the perfect soldier.

however, you we're definitely far from perfect. you gripped the reins of your horse, trotting up to the fence like where the instructor stood with his hands behind his back.

"instructor shadis," eren began, stepping off of his horse.

the man wasn't looking at any of you, but at the dirt wall in front of him.

his face seemed solemn, like he had finally figured out that the brunet knew who he was now.

after the past three years he spent with him. he brought all of you inside, offering tea. you sat down beside eren, your commander on your other side.

sasha stood along the wall, her chin tipped up as she avoided eye contact with the instructor.

you knew why, and even after graduating she could remember that day perfectly clear in her mind.

he turned up his chin, "you're not going to sit, brouse?"

"no, i'm quite alright here!" she shook her head rapidly.

he nodded and looked down at the table, "yes, i suppose the reason i used to summon you here in the past was to rake you over the coals. it's only been a few months, but you've all changed so much i barely recognize you."

his eyes glanced up to you before searching through the rest of your cadet mates.

"and i guess the last time we saw you, was five years ago." your captain said calmly, pursing his lips into a thin line. "you —" he caught his breath, nodding. "changed a lot, too."

the instructor clasped his hands together in his lap, "it was the first time a mew commander of the survey corps had ever been named while the old one was still alive," he replied smugly.