16

01

01

YOU rode down the dirt path, the green cloak that signified the survey corps clinging to your neck. it had already been a month since you and the rest of the cadets who were by your side were inducted into the scouts.

during that month, you had only seen eren a handful of times. the levi squad had kept him in
a deserted base with little to no interactions with the outside world around him. even though it frustrated you, you knew deep down that it was for the best.

after all, the levi squad was strong, and you had heard a lot of great things about them. especially from commander erwin when he had visited the newly inducted recruits the week before your arrival.

during the month that you and eren had been apart, soldiers from the corps began to train each and every one of you on combat skills. you had originally thought that there was no need for it, but it turns out, they do things a lot differently.

for starters, outside of the walls, there are desolate areas in which everyone is forced to use the titans as their makeshift trees in order to strike them down. this was news to you since you had never been outside of the walls before.

"y/n, do you think it's even possible for us to take down titans without landing areas?" connie asked, his cheek rested against the palm of his hand.

the cadets who had joined the survey corps were required to take classes based solely on the expedition that was set for the end of the month — specifically on the long distance enemy scouting formation.

it was almost laughable at how stupid the named sounded when one of the soldiers spoke it. however, you weren't doubting the commander's ability, so you sat still.

you leaned your elbow against the table, pressing your cheek against the palm of your hand as well.

"i dunno. i would guess that it is; given that the survey corps had taken the time to teach us how to do it." you replied, flashing him with a teasing glance.

he sighed, "this is so boring."

the soldier at the front of the classroom spoke up again, tapping his blade against his hand. "as i've explained prior, the enemy scouting formation isn't as complicated as it seems and it's quite easy to understand," he began, turning to the blackboard behind him.

grabbing a piece of chalk, he tossed it before catching it in his hand again.

"we'll start with the sections of the formation. first we have the spotting squad which is presumably the most reliable soldiers. they are spread out along the front rank of the entire formation. these are members of the legion who come into contact with titans more frequently, alerting the rest of the formation to the presence of titans using red smoke rounds.