09

01

01

YOU stared up at the scorching sun, the back of your hand resting against your forehead as you let out an exasperated sigh.

it was already one year into your training, yet you still weren't used to standing under the blazing afternoon sun.

"i guess we're partners." someone said, walking up to you with their hands stuffed into their pockets.

you looked down again, meeting a pair of auburn hues. they glinted against the staring sun — jean.

well, this would definitely be interesting. "i guess we are, kirstein." you modded in agreement, reaching your hand out to shake his own.

the ash-blond grabbed the palm of your hand softly, giving you a polite squeeze with an awkward smile.

he grunted, "what are we supposed to be doing?"

you chuckled, shaking your head and tossing the wooden knife from hand to hand. "weren't you paying attention?"

jean looked away awkwardly, "ah, not really."

"that makes sense for a future mp." you said.

"hey! what is that supposed to mean!" he shouted at you, swatting his hand to the back of your head.

you dogged it of course, shooting your hands up in defense as you laughed. "don't take it the wrong way! i just don't quite understand why you're choosing the easy path." you replied, rubbing the nape of your neck.

from the first time you had met jean, the night he and eren got into one of their many quarrels — you knew that there was something different about him.

he didn't plan on joining the garrison or the scouts like any of the other cadets, and in fact, he seemed to enjoy the leisure of being in the inner walls.

jean shrugged like you, grabbing the knife from your grasp and waving it towards you. "i'll have you know, joining the mp's is something that anyone should be proud of —"

he exhaled, thinking about the life he would have after his training ended.

"enjoying the newspaper on the balcony with a freshly brewed cup of coffee while my wife tends to the baby," he said, looking to you. "sounds like the life, no?"

you snorted, "not for the wife, that's for sure. who would want to tend to a child when you could be out doing something productive for the world?"