11

01

01

GULPING down your drink, you cheered happily with the cadets around you.

"i did it! i'm in the military police now!" connie shouted, clinking your cup with his own.

eren smiled in your direction, watching as you sat on top of the wooden table with a bright smile on your face. he loved seeing you happy — and considering what had happened last night, he knew you were sick and tired of hearing his bickering.

hell, even jean could see that.

sasha cheered as well, "we'll never have to worry about having food again!"

you laughed, shaking your head. mikasa smiled at the girl beside her, patting her brown hair and handing her one of her extra potatoes. she gratefully took it, leaning against the girl's shoulder and stuffing it in her mouth.

you watched the two of them lovingly, feeling someone watching you as well. looking over your shoulder, your eyes met with eren's jade hues. he blushed, looking away.

jean grumbled, "why am i below eren? that bastard."

you frowned, hearing the two boys beside eren begin to pester him. you turned in their direction, crossing your legs and staring down at your best friend.

thomas slapped the boy on the back, "you don't wanna join the military police, eren? are you serious he asked?"

he turned to you, "what about you, y/n? i know you already said you don't want to, but come on!" he whined.

you smiled softly, shrugging your shoulders, "i don't want an easy life — i want to know what's out there, and how we can defeat it."

"i've been dead set on my goal since the very beginning, same as y/n. we didn't train to live comfortably within the inner district." the words rolled off eren's tongue smoothly, as this was something he had to keep reiterating during the three years you had been in the cadet corps.

thomas interjected, "but you can't possibly win!" he shouted, his eyes darting between the two of you.

there was an uncomfortable silence after that, as everyone looked around at one another.

"you know full well — you know just how many have been eaten by them." he continued.

eren stayed silent, as you did as well, listening to him speak. "we've lost more than twenty percent of the entire population already. mankind doesn't stand a chance against them."

the brunet looked up, "so?"

you hopped off of the table, walking to stand at their side as they spoke, your arms crossed.