32

04

04

THE next four years ate away at you the hardest. there were many things that you could remember, but some were slowly beginning to fade away — like those memories you once held so dear to your heart vanished without a trace.

everything that you had once believed in seemed to die with the commander himself, or maybe you had just lost sight of what used to be.

the months after the ceremony began slowly as snow began to stick to the ground. it covered the roads, prohibiting the wagons from being able to carry supplies from one place another.

however, the work to bring back your home in shiganshina district began short after. workers rebuilt and repaved the dirt roads, allowing those who used to live there to return after five years.

you could feel pride swell through your chest, but something was wrong.

you turned in your bed, "eren," you began, holding your head up.

you propped your elbow against your pillow and pressed your cheek to the palm of your hand.

"isn't it great? they're moving people back into shiganshina —"

your mouth clamped shut as you stared at the boy beside you.

his eyes were wide and shaking, as if he was remembering those memories that plagued his mind everyday.

"eren —" you attempted to grab his arm, but his hand flew up and pressed itself hard against your cheek.

it stung for only a moment as you drew your body back and your eyes grew wide. he sat up in your bed, his hands trembling as he pinched his lips closed.

you rubbed the spot where his hand had slapped you, tears brimming your waterline.

you knew that he never meant to hurt you, but something had definitely changed between the two of you.

his eyes widened at the realization that he had just hit you. he physically struck you on the face and now you were backed away from him, a red mark across your cheek. "y/n, i'm so sorry —" he sobbed out, hiccuping.

your eyes softened as you moved towards him, wrapping your arms around his shoulders and pulling him close to you. his face fell into the crook of your neck, warm tears steadily flowing down your skin.

you couldn't understand what he was going through, and you didn't even know how to begin to ask.

"i didn't mean to, i'm so sorry!" he cried, pulling his head back and staring at the redness on your skin.