Extra 4 - Second Chance to Protect

"I really feel bad for her," she sighed, "it is not like I can do anything."

"It is not your fault, Your Majesty," she told her.

"We did this out of necessities, responsibilities, and facts that we do not have other options. However, she really did it out of her willingness, she truly wanted it. I took it from her."

***

Last day of the funeral, all the guests and visitors have left. She finally walked to the graves, avoiding all the gazes.

"I feel bad for her, left with nothing."

"The late Viscount Strauss sickness deteriorated not only the house but all the business were going down. Now, the viscountess killed herself due to all the debts and shame," whispered another.

"She inherits an empty title. They had to sell everything to cover the debts. A noble without land or business, huh?"

She just stood there, listened to all the whispers. Supposed to be mourning, but no single tears she can shed. She was finished with all the sadness, everything felt like nothing.

"I am sorry Maebel, we have to break our engagement," he one day appeared just to add salt on the wound, "I am really sorry, Maebel. I wish I can help you instead of leaving like this."

Of course, there is no way the man from a marquess family to marry a viscountess from a ruined family like hers. She just accepted, no tears, no screams, just a nod and she walked away.

Within a month, he soon got engaged to a lady from a high nobility. She was told, he looked really happy in the party. Maebel expected that.

She looked around the empty manor her parents left her. Most valuables had been sold, only one servant left.

"Glen, sell all the clothes and the valuables left," she ordered.

The servant stuttered, "But Lady Maebel, those dresses are very expensive, you may need it as well."

"I don't intend to wear them, the owners are dead. Glen, sell them all. You may take your last wage and pension from there. I will write you recommendations."

He looked at her in disbelief.

"Thank you for serving House of Strauss all this time, Glen," she gave him a smile he had not seen in a year.

***

"Your highness," she looked straight and spoke clearly, "Please hire me."

He was stunned for a second before thinking and trying to figure out what to say, "Lady Maebel, I do not think I have the access to that."

"I will do anything, I can be a maid."

Franz shook his head, "This is not what Maebel should do, I can recommend you for civil servant position."

"Your highness, I need a stable income and protection. Please just hire me for now, I will think of the next step. I need a roof over my head," she insisted.

"I really don't want you to do this, but I'll see to it."

***

The Second Prince's World Rewrittenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें