Chapter 37 - Latherion

It has been several weeks since she was being sent to the town in the middle of nowhere. This is Beaufort, the barony where Lucelia grew up.

She still cannot process all the informations flooding to her head.

She is an elf? Because her mother is an elf? Because her grandfather is not her real grandfather?

Gideon is accusing their mother of trying to murder their father.

Radeon is trying to hide both of them.

Lucelia is one of the protector of the Elven Sacred Forest?

She is losing her mind.
She never wished for this.

The barony mansion garden is where she just throws herself into. This place is not hot even in summer, but it keeps warm when the autumn is approaching. This reminds Athena of the siblings.

She has always thought of how the lady that locked his second brother's heart is such of warmth. The day she got off her carriage to be welcome by the lord of the house, the Acting Baron Beaufort, she wonders, "Does this run in the family?"

***

"It must bother you much, your highness," his voice startled her.

"Oh Lord Latherion," she scrouches to the sides to give him space.

"Erion would just be fine, your highness," his smile is surely captivating, 'How can he still be single???'

"Then call me Thena, isn't my presence here supposed to be secret?" she giggles, "They will catch on quick if you keep going like that."

He gets up quick and offer his hand, "Would you join me for a walk outside ... Thena?"

***

The small town is really peaceful and nice. People are bustling in the market, but it is not as painful to be as it is in the capital. What you would call lively, not crowds.

The ladies along the way have been eyeing them for awhile now, he sure is atrractive.

"Oh, Lord Latherion!" One of the merchant calls.

Athena quickly hides behind her cloak.

"Good day, Hans!"

"Oh, with a lady, milord? Then I will not bother you, see you later!" That man just waved his hands away.

Athena just cannot bear the curiosity. The man she is walking with just seem so infatuated.

"This town almost turned to a dead city," he said shocking her.

"Impossible ..."

He shrugged, "We got really bankrupt and when father fell sick, we really almost lost everything, including the town if it wasn't for Celia. Isn't my sister amazing?"

She is stunned.

"The market was rebuilt by her support with the help of her management skill. Prince Radeon helped me with permits for the young merchants," he looked around and run to point his finger at something, "Look at that, that is a school."

"Yes? That is a school?"

He smiles excitedly, "Prince Radeon built that for us, the first school in Beaufort. Celia spent all her money for the teachers' trainings."

Athena laughs, she is amused. Latherion stops and wondering why she seems ecstatic.

"Erion, you really love your sister."

"Of course I do, don't you love Prince Radeon too?"

No wonder he is single, his future wife will have a very hard standard to meet.

***

"They are in a siege, the princes are in high tension. The troops are placed in Yerevan and the border of Schroder. War might be inevitable."

They came back from town to find a messenger standing on the door.

Athena turns to Erion, "There should be something I ... or we can do?"

"We should not do anything, Prince Radeon's order to hide you here was clear. If I do something suspicious, they will suspect Beaufort's intervention and look for you here."

She grabs his hand, watery eyes begging.

"Anything?"

***