Chapter 22 - He is not What He was

The second prince, Radeon Arthenz has displayed respectable actions in recent times as compared to his previously known reputations. As the cold prince he is, still crawling under the radar as he does best, avoiding any clashes and being in the same room as his older brother, Gideon.

Or that is what he used to be known up until this morning, when the cabinet meeting strikes a long quiet moment when he appears entering the room after the king himself.

Remembering the event several years prior when he turned physical on a meeting is still fresh on everyone's memories.

Radeon sat farther back in the corner to avoid the intense stares.

The mood in the room soon lifted by the first prince opening and let the proper discussion to start.

***

"And thus we have found evidences of embezzlement on the previous year's fort supply," Gideon sums his report to the cabine and turns to the king, "I would like to indict Count Hagan for misconduct related to royal monetary issue."

"Objection, Your Majesty!" The said Count Hagan smacked his hands on the table, "This is slander, I swear on your holiness, I have never done anything to the military budgeting!"

"You may have your defense, Count Hagan," the king listens.

"This might be directed to me by anyone who intends harm, I will not have the capacity to spike the budgeting value when I do not have access to the military, your majesty!"

Gideon flips his papers, "Count Hagan, you signed for the procurements of these units."

"Yes I do sign the procurement document, but the finalized budget and payment was not only handled by myself," he looks around, "Which then means, most people in this room has the same access to what  indicted me for, your highness."

The entire room turns to awkward silence.

"What do you think?" The king breaks the quietness, everyone turns to where the king looks, "As the commander of the royal order, what is your opinion, Prince Radeon?"

He has no idea of this before few minutes ago. Browsing through the papers, he yawned.

Oh he hopeless, everyone might think.

"Count Hagan, am I right?"

He snickered, "Yes, your highness?"

"Let me replay what is happening here," Radeon changes his sitting position, "You were tasked with the fort supply budgeting last year, in which my brother pointed a high chance of embezzlement as the number surprisingly peaked in a peaceful year. So based on the value, I would assume each unit was more expensive by at least 200 gold coins. As we purchased 50 units last year, if ... just if you actually embezzled, I would expect a suspicious 10,000 gold in your last year's ledger? We may just need to take a look at that."

"That is slander, Prince Radeon! Impossible! The price was only 160 gold at most, you will not find anything in my ledger!"

And the room breaks in whispers.

Radeon smiles, "Oh thank you for your information, Count Hagan."

"What do you mean, Radeon?" You can hear Gideon's voice trembles.

"As the commander of the royal order, our ledgers and inventory lists will be available at your disposals for further investigations, Prince Gideon. We would like to help as much as we can in the order," Radeon sneakily turn to look at the now trembling Count Hagan, "You better catch the man who dared to talk lies and screams about it in front of his majesty. Especially look at the supplier companies that might happen to be owned by a relative from his wife's side of family? From the looks of it, also look for his friends."

"You think he has accomplices, Prince Gideon?" Asks the king.

"Yeah, they're in the room."

***

When the king and the princes came out of the cabinet meeting, Queen Alessandra was walking fast to their direction. Must have heard of the screams and quarrels. She turns to look at Radeon worryingly.

"You must have heard, Alessandra," said the king, "It was just a small argument, it will be fine."

She has no choice but just to agree to it.

"It has been a long time since a dinner for us together like this," the king to turn to his sons.

Radeon bows, "I will be leaving, father."

"Mother surely misses you, brother," said Gideon.

"Mother visits Zweich quiet often recently, it is better for her to take breaks," he gives his mother a hand kiss, "You must want to enjoy your newlyweds moments as well, brother."

As her second son walked away and gone in the hallway turn, Alessandra just could not take her eyes off of him.

She knows, might it not be him?

***