Chapter 27 - Duchesses

The previous day, one morning Tatiana runs to her room, letter in hand. Since she has gone back to Beaufort for a while, her letters had to be forwarded from the Zweich Palace  and took longer time. This one surprisingly arrives quickly as if the sender knows she is not in the palace anymore.

"Lucelia," Tatiana is panting from all the running.

She takes her friend to sit on the couch, "What happens? Who is it?"

"Duchess Hart passed away."

She immediately understands.

***

Duchess Hart, the wife of Duke Elliot Hart whom she met the other day, the cousin of the king.

She has not been seen in the high society for a long time. No one really understands as to why. Rumors have it, that the duchess is never in a good term with the duke ever since. Especially the days the duke decided to clearly shows his disinterest.

"Vivien will marry to the duke's family," Tatiana explains, "she will be 'the Duchess Hart' now."

The letter arrived from her explains everything. Expressing both a gratitude and fear. It is the protection that she needs. The position that secures her safety from her pasts. At the same time the fear of judgment as the new young wife of the duke, she still cannot fathom. She fully understands that this might not even lasts long, when Sir Albert rises and the duke passes, she will lose it again.

"We are indeed just mistresses," Tatiana sighs, "called on with open arms, goes up and down, discarded when required to be. I was lucky, that one chance you made possible. Even then, we will not know where this is going, can we?"

"We can stay here, you can stay here, Tiana. I really hope my sisters doing well."

***

"Yes father, I intend to leave the capital and have my own residence outside the palace. I hope you will grant me the chance."

That surprises everyone, even Gideon really would never expect that move. That day, just few days prior, is the day Radeon made up his mind.

"It is too bad, you have been such a big help to the orders and helping me out with cabinet. I hope you can keep doing so, Radeon," the king wishes him to consider.

"I will have to leave my position in the royal order, but I promise you to still help with the cabinets every now and then, father. Brother Gideon will always be here for you. I do intend to raise my family there, my children with my wife."

It took everyone seconds to realize. He is being given the chance, rights and granted the residence.

Queen Alessandra cannot bear letting her second son goes. She understands and doubtful at the same time. The whispers around the palace, especially by ones of his 'secret supporters' disappointed of this move perceived as giving up of the crown prince race.

"I am going to Beaufort, picking up my wife," he said leaving the throne room.

***

"We will go to Schroder next week," he holds her hand at the night he insisted on a walk in the Beaufort manor.

She just nods to follow his orders, like she always has.

Under the night of stars and where the moon nowhere to be seen, he holds her closer.

"Has it been hard?" he holds out his hand for her bump.

She looks, puzzled, "You knew?"

"Why would you think I do not?" he does not believe what he heard, "I had all your health checks regularly reported to me, of course I would know."

Lucelia does not know what she is feeling right now. It is something unknown to her heart.

"I am officially moving out of Zweich," he said.

He will never stops to shock her and maybe just everyone.

"His majesty allows me the Duchy of Schroder. I will move the main residence to the duchy mansion."

She smiles, "That is great for you, your highness."

"Lucelia ..." he stops walking in the middle of the garden, in front of the pond that she recently asks to be replenished to remember her mother.

"Yes?"

"I am taking you to Schroder, as my duchess."

***