Chapter 26 - Blood is Indeed Thicker

"You have to be really careful, Lucelia," Baron Beaufort took his grandchildren to sleep after they let Tatiana to take a break.

"I understand, father. I will protect what the Beauforts have to do."

He sighs, "Which means it is also passed down to them as well. But I am really happy to manage this long to see the sons my daughter bring home."

Lucelia walks out to the balcony to feel the fresh air. Latherion followed her noticing his sister's concerning looks.

"If she survived that day," he speaks softly, "Wouldn't it be nice to have five of us together now."

She just smiles to his words.

"I wonder if that was a little brother or a sister," he continues.

"They are now painless, Erion. Would that be nice for the likes of us? Don't they say it is part of our power to have one last wish to come true?"

"Yeah," he said, "What do you think was her wish?"

"She was really selfless, it might not even be about her."

***

The color of her face drastically changes that moment. Blood rushing her body and her heartbeat uncrontrollable. She is ready to turn away and run that exact moment. He grabs into her wrist, "Don't ..."

She is trembling to his restraint, "What do you want?"

"It has nothing to do with what I want," he insists.

"Is this why you sent me home?"

"No," Radeon softens his voice, "I always know, I know from the very day I called you to my room for the first time."

She looks at him, "How?"

"I cannot tell you now."

"Then I cannot trust you, your highness," she is on the verge of tears, trying to break away from his hands.

"Lucelia," he sounds painful, "Elven blood is being used for assassinations."

She turned around, this time she could not handle her surprise, "That thing is not supposed to be known ..."

"Exactly why I need to know ..."

"I am taking my belief to death, Prince Radeon. I will not let this out of myself."

Radeon lets her hand go, "I will not force you to say anything, Lucelia. You will still be under my protection as it has always been. I will pretend this never happens. I will not speak a word of it."

He walks away, "Come, the baron and your brother must be worried that we took too long."

She is staring at the back of the father of her children, walking off away. The same nice voice that she always heard, the same cool headed man that she always respects.

It is just one thing to another, all she not expecting is to hear that he knows everything. He knows all, no wonder he never worries. He understands all, when she knows nothing of it.

***

The Beaufort family has always protected the Elves, a humanoid with supernatural power and exquisite beauty. They may look like normal humans, but they are one to use magic. It is believed magic can only come from magical artifacts where humans can learn, but they can never make one. Elves can do their own magic even without artifacts, they even make their own tools. It might be believed that most artifacts found was made by them.

The fear of Elves has caused massive genocide hundreds of years prior. They are now the slaves and lower citizen, even lower than human slaves. People now do not fear them as the memories has passed far beyond, but surely the elves are treated just like animals.

The ancestors of the Beaufort family has taken pity to the tribe and protects them in the small town. They keep the last Elven Sacred Forest in the Arthenz and let the elves descendants assimilate to the community.

One of the last remaining pure blood elf was her mother, Liana, who married the now Baron Beaufort. They understand very well of the standing of elves.

Thus being passed down, it is the one secret Lucelia will take to hear death.

She just never expected Radeon to appear on her house that day, pulled her aside and told her, "Lucelia, I need your help."

***