Chapter Twelve

Two chapters in a day ?!??!?!??!

TW: miscarriage, talks of divorce, lmk what else

(Please forgive me for this)

------

June, 2021

Mallory had been careful the next two weeks. Taylor had stopped drinking in solidarity, something Mallory hadn't asked her to do but was grateful for her doing anyway, and had even swapped all teabags in the house for decaffeinated ones (but giving up caffeinated coffee was off the table for Taylor).

The weeks leading up to the test were scary, but they were nothing compared to the weeks knowing. Everything was terrifying to do. Every little pain sent Mallory's mind racing and heart beating rapidly. She recognised it probably wasn't good for the baby, so she learnt to relax.

The morning of the first, the scent of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air as the couple shared an early breakfast at their kitchen table. Mallory jokingly gagged at the smell, making their laughter fill the room, a harmonious melody that underscored the joy they found in each other's company.

With the dishes cleared, they stepped outside into the vibrant embrace of their garden. The sun played hide-and-seek through the foliage as they tended to their plants with tender care. Mallory's fingers danced across the petals of delicate roses, while Taylor meticulously pruned the overgrown bushes. Their shared passion for gardening was a reflection of the life they had built together- a life that was about to take an unexpected turn.

As the day wore on, a sudden, sharp pain pierced through Mallory's lower abdomen, causing her to gasp and double over. She clutched her stomach, her heart racing, as a wave of panic washed over her. Taylor glanced over, concern etched on her face, but before she could inquire, Mallory quickly masked her pain with a forced smile.

"I just... I think I need to use the loo," Mallory murmured, her voice strained.

Taylor nodded, though a flicker of worry still lingered in her eyes. Mallory turned and retreated into the sanctuary of their home, the weight of her secret pain settling heavily upon her. She closed the bathroom door behind her and sank to the cool tile floor, tears welling up in her eyes.

The truth was a heavy burden to bear. Mallory knew what was happening, the crushing realisation that a miscarriage was unfolding gripping her heart like a vice. But instead of sharing her anguish with Taylor, she chose isolation, convinced that shielding her wife from the devastating truth was the best course of action.

As hours stretched into an agonizing eternity, Mallory remained confined within the walls of their home, but had moved to the bathtub, grappling with the physical and emotional torment in silence. She felt a profound sense of detachment, as if the world had faded into a haze, leaving only her pain and sorrow as companions.

Outside, Taylor continued to tend to the garden, a bittersweet smile on her lips as she admired the blooming flowers and the sun's warm embrace. She hummed a tune, blissfully unaware of the storm that had engulfed Mallory's world. The day shifted into evening, the fading light casting long shadows across the garden, and Taylor finally stepped inside, her heart heavy with exhaustion.

"Mallory?" There was no response, so she walked around the house.

She found Mallory in the bath, her face pale and tear-stained, her body curled in on itself, wearing new clothes.

Taylor's voice trembled as she rushed to her side, her heart breaking at the sight before her. "Mallory, what happened? Are you okay?"

Mallory looked up, her eyes hollow, her voice barely a whisper. "I was-I had... I miscarried."