Chapter Forty

When I returned home that night Terrence was sitting in hallway on the bench by my door. When he saw me walk up, he hopped up and said, "Where have you been? I have been looking everywhere for you. I was worried about you."

"I'm sorry I scared you. I didn't even think about how you would be feeling. I just needed to clear my head."

"This is crazy. I can't believe it."

"Yeah." I opened my door and said, "Come on in. I'll be back I'm going to change out of these clothes." I went into the bedroom and fell out across my bed.

Terrence came to the door and said, "Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm just going to lay her for a bit." I thought, and I thought, and I thought, and I could not come up with anything that made any sense. Was I just unlucky in love or was I just destined to be made a fool of? I don't know something has got to give.

"Hey, I'm going to get going so you can have some time to yourself and get some sleep." He said as he stood in the doorway.

"No, don't go. Please?"

He walked over to me and held out his hand. "Let's try and get your mind off of all of this nonsense. Let's find something on television that you can make fun of. Like you used to do in college."

I held out my hand and grabbed his. "Oh, you must really feel bad for me. You hated that so much." I walked in front of him.

He grabbed my shoulders as he walked behind me, "No, I didn't hate it." he said as he started massaging my shoulders as we walked.

"Oh, yes you did, but I'll be happy to torcher you tonight." I said as I smiled.

About twenty minutes into looking at television, Terrence was sleep. I went to get a blanket out of the closet and placed it over him. I walked into the bedroom and laid in my bed. The next thing I notice was a knock at the door. I didn't want to wake Terrence up, so I ran out really quick. I looked over at the couch and he was gone. I looked out to see who it was. It was Terrence I opened the door and he was standing there with one red rose in his hand.

"Good morning." he said with a smile on his face.

"Good morning." I said as I reciprocated the smile. "It's six what time did you get up."

"Ah, about an hour ago." He stood there and then said, "I'm sorry this is for you pretty lady." then he handed the rose to me.

"Thank you." I said as I grabbed the rose. I had totally forgotten how early it was. "What is this for?"

"Well, it's just for, being you?"

"Thank you." I said as I walked away from the door and to the kitchen to make us some coffee.

He walked in and closed the door. "So, about the surprise I had for you...I wasn't sure if you were going to be still up for it?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Last night alone."

"Last night alone, is why I need your surprise." I was happy that he had a surprise for me. Terrence, at that point was the only one who was there for me and quite frankly made me feel good no matter what happened in my life. "So, what is it?"

"Still can't tell you. It's a surprise. Just say you will trust me."

"I walked into the living room and said, "Okay, I trust you." I said still feeling a little happy. I knew that it was going to take some time to get over what Lamar, Teresa, and Anthony had done to me, and Terrence was the right person to help me through it. I needed someone that I could really count on.

"Now I have to tell you that the surprise starts now." he said as he pointed both of his fingers downward to emphasize at this moment.

"Okay..." I said with a little hesitation. I was thinking what type of surprise could start so early. Then I thought go with the flow Adriana, stop trying to ruin what might be a great surprise. Then I did just that, I went into the kitchen turned off the coffee pot and said "There's no use in making coffee if the surprise starts now. I have to get ready."